Marx Space Machine Gun Or Mafia Muffler?

Tinplate6

Occasionally, I come across a gun that isn't obviously a ray gun, or other star defense weapon, however...it could be :huh: . In the 50's many toy manufacturers were cashing in on the space craze and hastily re-tooling their less popular guns to make them spacier and more appealing. This could be anything from slapping on rings and fins to a simple paint job and a rocket sticker. These machine guns fall into that category, they could be alien defense or simply beefed up gangster gats. Dunno...but I thought they had star potential (get it? Space...star...ok, never mind :rolleyes: ). Either way, here for your entertainment, I present these three toys.

post-656-1268605471.jpg

Dating from the 1950's, these 16 inchers were produced my Marx, however, I don't know their proper names. :blink: They are hand cranked, recoiling, rat-a-tat guns.

post-656-1268605534.jpg

The action is interesting to watch...the crank connects to a shaft with a drive gear, this gear has a pin on top that contacts a steel tongue mounted over a paper diaphragm, creating the clacking sound, like a new year's rattle.

post-656-1268605732.jpg

The same gear then drives a central shaft that has a reciprocating wheel on top. There is a metal rod offset mounted to it, like the drive wheel of a steam train, this is connected to the protruding barrel tip, that produces the recoiling effect.

post-656-1268605565.jpg

post-656-1268605674.jpg

It's a simple but effective pre-electronic solution. I would love to know if these are truly ray guns, so, if you know the name of this toy please let me know, but either way, I think I'll keep them. ^_^

I like this one. It definitely has a space feel to it - with the silver highlights and the horizontally mounted magazine, or is it magazines?. I also like the holes in the design which allows you to see the mechanism at work.

Thanks ANZ, that's what I thought too, but I still don't know what it's called, I hope someone chimes in with an answer...Doc, are you receiving me? Come in Doc Atomic... :unsure:

Hi Tinplate6, I agree with you there are quite a few "crossover" guns, and all it would take on this one would be a couple of stickers and hey presto, you're in outer space instead of prohibition Chicago :lol: I think it's a Marx G-Man gun?

Here's a gun that I have as a "space" gun, just a shame the graphics aren't space related :(

Noel

post-648-1268615464.jpg

You know, I've seen these a few times, but have never come across a name or a box or anything like that. So honestly, I don't have any idea what they're called -- or whether they were intended to be space guns.

Toyman, I have the same bubble gun, but I've never seen the box, and yes, it looks like a space gun to me...little bubbles of death I suppose. :blink: One pop, and you're history. :lol: I'll have to check that "G-man" lead, thanks.

Doc, thanks for trying...anyone else care to make a guess?

Ok, I did some research on the G-Man gun, and my guns are not them. I've posted a few shots of the G-Man gun and it is a much older toy from the 40's. I found two distinct types, one early all tin litho with wood stock, and and a later one half plastic .

post-656-1268634353.jpg

post-656-1268634334.jpg

post-656-1268634393.jpg

You'll note the similarity to the wind up Tom Corbett Space Cadet Gun, another example of toy recycling.

post-656-1268634418.jpgpost-656-1268634794.jpg

Either way, we are going to need a better guess. :unsure:

Archived