The Flash-a-matic Space Gun

Tinplate6

My latest acquisition is the Flash-A-Matic Gun made by Royal Plastics Ltd. out of Arverne, N.Y. in the 1950's. This odd, simple looking gun is molded from high impact red and yellow plastic and measures 7 inches long.

post-656-1268463969.jpg

post-656-1268463977.jpg

When I saw this for sale, I thought it was a bit of a "plain Jane" and it had a dirty, badly molded look about it :unsure: , but the little gun sight and emitter rings on the barrel made it just interesting enough to go after. It doesn't appear to be very common, I have never seen one anyway. When I got it, yes, it looked pretty dirty and...well, waxy. :huh: I disassembled the gun (pretty easy, as only 3 screws hold it together, and that is the only way to load a battery). I discovered that the waxy coating was some sort of mold release film. So with warm water, soap and a toothbrush, I carefully scrubbed it clean to reveal a shiny red plastic underneath with nicely molded details...beautiful! :blink:

post-656-1268463415.jpg

post-656-1268463435.jpg

The gun is a standard flashlight, the battery sits in front of the sliding bolt/hammer and rests against a spring attached to the lamp. The spring is just long enough to prevent contact, when you push the trigger, the bolt slides forward and it simply shoves the battery against the lamp and viola! Houston, we have ignition. ^_^

Tinplate: Way to preserve history! This "Plain Jane" was wearing a silk gown after all. Your small investment in time, money and imagination is a contribution to all of us who find a pastime spending time in future's past. Thank you!

Wow. That gun cleaned up really well. It's much nicer looking than the original photos implied... A very nice pickup. Congrats! :)

Cool piece. Looks great all cleaned up. Interesting how a little thing like shine and polish can make such a difference to our appreciation of a toy like this.

Sort of a diamond in the wax. :blush:

Nice snag Tinplate!

Archived