7 Of Us $2000 Each !

Eagle

I thought we already had one of these?

Isn't his name John Rigg? or is it just MASTER! Whatever we wanna call em'

But I do see your point there Eagle, it would be great to have this kind of machine around for us toy robot collectors and especially us builders!

And another thing isn't that machine remind anybody about the replicator that Robby The Robot had on his chest? of course smaller but still the basic same function?

Just my 2 cents.....

MMM

Dail up guys do not bother clicking the link, its some sort of 7 minute video, All I get is white screen, 10 minuts later I see that the white screen is replaced by a screen that says it is some sort of video and will be 7 minutes long. there is no still picture so we will never know what its about. Any one want to give me free wireless internet?

Hey John,

It's a machine that lazer scans an object and sends it to a computer to make that object in 3D out of plastic and it's about the size of a washer or dryer and the video shows Jay Leno making a part for an old steam car.

It's pretty cool for making small parts that seem to get broken in our line of work, but with a price tag of $14,000 it's a little expensive, thus Eagle's question for the title of the thead.

Hope this helps some?

MMM

Man what a machine. The desk model is around 14 grand. We could make damn near any prototype ! Gramps can keep it at his place.

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/...7d3bfd6c81email

The 14k is just the stsrt, the smallest printer is 14,900 plus you need the special tips and drivers for your 3D cad software which brings the price to 16,640. That price DOES not include the 20K + 3d cad software you need to drive the printer. 3D Cad software is not cheap!

The small scanner is $3495.00 plus 1995.00 for the Point Cloud conversion software for your 3 d cad program. The bottom line is over $50,000 to get started. I found out about the printer and scanner a couple of months ago and spent some time with the reps getting more info and pricing. It's a nice idea but the printer is VERY SLOW, it takes several hours for a simple part.

I used to use the 3 d printers to make parts for CD players and DBS satellite recievers back when I worked in Seattle in the 1990s. We did not have the 3 d scanner then, you had to make the part in CAD then send the file to 3D printer. The finnal part back then was a type of resin and good for fit testing and looks but not strong like a real injected molded plastic part or metal part. So is this new systen still producing a resin part? If so what type of part could Jay Leno have been making for a seam car?

John, The new printers use ABS plastic. Leno just used it for a part that looked to be about 3"x5" for checking the fit before machining it in metal. My real guess is he did it for a plug to get a free machine :lol:

Although the plastic isn't strong enough to be useful, the amazing thing is that it spits the whole assembly out in working order. Like that crescent wrench it did in one pass and was fully functional. That blew my mind.

And it comes out assembled. Some type of suspension agent that dissolves with solvent. John, the unit thermally stacks what looks like weed whacker line. I wonder how long it takes to set the whole thing up and process a part. For only 14 G it would be a tool to support the hobby,,,,however What is the reliability and service call expenses ? Like Gramps machines, they are expensive to maintain. What was is Gramps, the mirror on your unit was very expensive ? Still amazing technology !

And it comes out assembled. Some type of suspension agent that dissolves with solvent. John, the unit thermally stacks what looks like weed whacker line. I wonder how long it takes to set the whole thing up and process a part. For only 14 G it would be a tool to support the hobby,,,,however What is the reliability and service call expenses ? Like Gramps machines, they are expensive to maintain. What was is Gramps, the mirror on your unit was very expensive ? Still amazing technology !

Read my earlier post about true costs of this printer. The mirrors for my laser aren't the expensive parts, they are a couple hundred each, it's the len's that is about 1600 to replace them all or the laser tube that is 7300 to replace. So far I have had to replace them all.

It's a great idea, but still expensive and slow for any real work.

Here is a place that runs out 3D parts for hobbyists. Just find an artist that works with the right software and you're golden. My 4 foot Jupiter 2 came with a lot of parts that were created by this company:

http://www.printapart.com/

These things, rapid prototyping machines, are a wonder to watch.

These printers have been a godsend to me at my company. I am manager of Engineering Design Quality, and our people along with the mechanical Engineers have had fits for years trying to visualize mechanical parts from 2D drawings fitting together in a 3 D world before they went to production. Now with these prototypes in our peer reviews, we can solve many problems before they start. : :D

I asked if I could use these for hobby projects, and that did not go over too well. :ninja:

Archived