Renwal Planet Jet Space Gun

dratomic

I just got back from a trip out to California, visiting my dealer buddy, Justin. I tell ya, that's such a dangerous thing for me to do...

I picked up two new toy guns -- the first is a really nice Ideal 3-Way Futurama Ray Gun (ca. 1951). And the second is the ultra super rare Renwal Planet Jet gun (ca. mid-Fifties). As far as I can tell, this ranks just under the Pyro Plastics Pyrotomic Disintegrator pistol in terms of scarcity. I've been looking for this for a while, though I never really expected to find one. I'm pretty thrilled at the moment.

I will say, however, that transporting both guns through security at the airport in Longbeach, CA, was quite an interesting experience... First, the guard watching the X-Ray machine bugged out his eyes when he thought he saw two dangerous weapons stowed in my backpack. Then, once I opened the bag and showed him the obviously harmless space toys, he bugged his eyes again, exclaiming, "I remember having toys like that!" Which just goes to show, you never know when you'll meet a fellow space toy fan. :)

Here's a pic of the Planet Jet, for those who might be interested. It's missing two tiny fins that protrude backwards off the barrel assembly -- this is common, as they're very delicate. Aside from this, the toy's about as mint as it gets. Sadly, my camera battery just croaked, so if you'd like to see the Ideal 3-Way gun, check out either Leslie Singer's Zap! (p. 39), or Ray Gun, by Gene Metcalf (p. 75). I'm getting in a Marx Tom Corbett Atomic Rifle (Metcalf, p. 81), so when it arrives, I'll post that and some of the other guns that have recently landed in the Attic of Astounding Artifacts.

post-2-1078824273.jpg

Wow! Nice gun there, Doc! What does it do? Does it come in any other colors?

Glad you didn't stay in LA LA land too long, maybe you'd have come back with some silicone implants instead of ray guns! :P

Rocket -

Right. Details. The gun's both a clicker and a water pistol. The red cap in front unscrews and the barrel fills with enough water for two or three good shots. Pull the trigger and an internal plunger expels the H20. At the same time, the small rocket moves forward and the toy makes a clicking sound. Simple, but still charming.

As for colors, I've seen a super rare one in blue (my favorite color... it's a great looking toy). Other colors? Dunno... I'd guess there's a red one -- I've noticed that plastic gun manufacturers often milked as many variations as possible out of their toys. Since they had the red, yellow, and blue plastic at their disposal, why not mix and match? But I'm just guessing on this...

Beautiful Ray Gun! Great score. I was really into ray guns for a short period but got frustrated because it seemed even harder to find minty examples of rare guns than robots.

Wow Doc, you're building up quite an amazing armory there. Why, with all these advanced weapons you could (dare I say it?)......RULE THE WORLD!

Why FJW, whatever are you insinuating? That I have anything other than the most benevolent plans for our wonderful planet? Hm... But perhaps I've said too much.

Well, not to make you nervous or anything -- here's a couple more recent additions to the Atomic Armory. (Man, I am so on some FBI list now...)

This is the Tom Corbett Space Cadet Atomic Rifle (Marx, mid Fifties). The rifle isn't too[/] rare, though it doesn't often come up in this condition. The box is a bit rarer -- mine's clean, though the folds have seen better days. There's also a blue and gold version of the gun -- these are pretty uncommon and'll probably cost you a pretty penny. They're beautiful though. The gun's actually a simple clicker -- pull the trigger and the red/white stripes move back and forth while the gun goes, well, "click." Um... it's more about the toy's looks than it's action. Heh. :)

post-2-1078868421.jpg

Here's a picture of the Ideal 3-Way gun. There's a light set back behind the lens. The switch on top is connected to two gels. Set the switch to the center and the light shines between the gels (white). Set it to one site and it swings a red gel in front of the bulb; swing it the other way and you get the green gel. Pretty simple. Sadly, today's batteries don't fit in the gun, so you have to rig a makeshift circuit to see the effect. It's kind of worth the effort though -- the light shines neat concentric circles on the wall for a cool effect.

post-2-1078868742.jpg

Here's an Atom Bubble Gun (Flyrite Products, late-Forties). Dip the front into bubble solution, pull the trigger to release the shimmering orbs of... well, not doom, exactly. Hm. Not the most threatening space weapon. Though it is made of solid metal, so if you're ever attacked by aliens, it'll make a nifty club.

Primitive looking gun, which is why I love it.

Whoops... pic below...

Three other bubble guns, all variations of the Bub-L-Rocket, by Kenner Products (1950s). You blow in the back of them. Again, not too frightening. Maybe you can make your interstellar enemies laugh themselves to death. Still, I think they're pretty neat. Just playful space toys.

post-2-1078869544.jpg

Last pic, I promise. The entirety of the Atomic Armory. Just so you can get an idea of how big the guns are relative to each other. The Captain Space Cosmic Scout rifle (top) is about 26 inches long, if this helps.

post-2-1078869713.jpg

Cool Doc, the collection has grown considerably since I laid eyes on it a few weeks ago. They look fantastic in that picture, with that white background, they almost appear to be floating in air. Man, have to resist starting a ray gun collection (I have only one, all a spaceman really needs--in case my robots stage an uprising!).

Craig -- That cracked me up. Gotta keep those tin-heads in line!

And Duxastrogirl -- Dr. Evil is a no-nothing hack. True mad scientists have much more charm, poise, and a certain je ne c'est quoi. If I do say so myself. ;)

Dr Atomic, all I can say is WOW !!!

My parents were some of the first pacifists and any

kind of gun was taboo to my brother or myself. I

remember my brother receiving a four foot long

space bazooka in the sixties as a gift. The day

after Chrismas it mysteriously disappeared, hummm...

I have a rather sad story for you about the Daisy

Buck Roger's pistols. My wife is from Plymouth Michigan,

home of the Daisy company. Her father who is in his 70's

remembers the crazy days of the 30's and 40's when

they couldn't make enough of them. He told me of

how they would stack pallets of them on the sidewalk

waiting for trucks to take them away. Apparently

Macy's and Gimbles of New York had a price war in

the 30's and were selling them way below cost. Just

to get depression customers in the door, he said the

price got down to 25 or was it 50 cents for a rocket

pistol !!! The sad part is after about 100 years, the