Fire Chief Smoky 2

robothut

link to build page.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/FireChiefPage.html

link to You Tube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9M6_bU-0c

Long story short, last year about when I posted on useing the electronic E cigs for smokers in robots I had built this robot, but held off posting until after Jay had finnished his build of a Fire Chief robot and sold them. Jay and I had been talking about what the chief smoky robot might be used for and Jay mentioned that he planed on doing a Fire Chief robot. Well that sounded like a great idea to me as well. He was going to have them built in china and painted all red. I think we both had the flashing dome light in mind, I wanted lit eyes as well. And I suggested that maybe in the chest there be a animated fire burning, you know just like the electic fake fireplaces do it. Jay suggested a fire hose that squirted water, but water and tin robots are not a good mix so I suggested smoke as that would look just like a CO2 type fire extinguisher. I built up this robot useing my ideas and useing the Electric E Cig smoking device that I had talked about here on the Drome. Jay had his robots built his way. I held off talking about mine as we both felt it would be best for Jay to sell his small custom run first. I fully support Jay and others that keep new robots and reproduction robtos being built. I see on Jays web site that his Fire Chiefs are all sold out so it should be OK to post my version of the Project now.

So here is my version of the Fire Chief robot. The firs effect in the chest turned out very well, I used a rotating wrinkle foil drum that colored lights reflect off of just like the fake fire units do, but again the digital camera does not like to shoot in to the lit effect. The smoker hose effect turned out great! The tip of the hose is the smoke fluid cartridge so if need be it can be replaced , the hearter is on the end of the hose and the power to the heater runs inside the hose. The hose is fed air buy a small air pump that came from a junked out blood preshure machine.

post-7-1266173973.jpg

post-7-1266175567.jpg

Changing the smoke fluid is simple. The heater is switched ON and OFF by a mechanical switch inside the robot. You can see how I extended a mechanical drive up to the rotating foil drum for the fire effect.

post-7-1266174690.jpg

post-7-1266174764.jpg

I printed out a fire picture on to white decal film that I found on the web to use in my animated fire show. Cut out the chest area. placed the decal fire picture on to some clear plastic so I could glue it in place.

post-7-1266175030.jpg

post-7-1266175120.jpg

cool conversion, i was always facinated by the kinetic fire effect as a child, and i have also experimented with lazer light on rotating reflectors.

i had a look at those e cig things last night after reading your description of them on here.

i am so going to get some of these things, they are crying out to be hacked, the ray gun idea is fantastic, they also might help me pack up smoking:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just finnished a second Fire Chief for Xriss. This one is the same except I used a fan type blower for the smoking effect. The first one used a air compressor from a old blood presure meter. I also added a chromed tip to the hose and some chrome shoulder bits to the arms. I do not know if I mentioned that I cycle the E cig smoker ON and OFF with a micro switch set up, this switch also flashed the light on top the head. The reason I do this is to save battery life, the smoker draws alot of power as all smokers do, but these E cig smokers kick out alot of smoke and you just do not need it ON all the time like in a normal toy robot.

post-7-1267834213.jpg

post-7-1267834279.jpg

Archived