1947: Les Exploits De Radar

dratomic

I found this copy of the 1947 French comic Les Exploits de Radar in Avignon while traveling last week through the south of France. I've never heard of it, but when I saw the amazing cover illustration with it's wonderfully designed robot, I decided it'd make the perfect souvenir. The inside art is great, too -- black (well, blue) and white, very "machine age" with heavy shadows and lots of forced perspective. I can't read a word of the comic, sadly, because my French is quite atrocious, so I don't have any idea if the writing's any good. Oh well.

Xris, I know you deal in comic books -- can you tell me anything about this one? The owners of the shop where I found it said the first three issues are much rarer than the rest (mine is issue 4), but beyond that, they didn't have a lot of information. The artist is Bob V. Vinell. Do you know anything about him? I found some meager information here (lambiek.net/artists/v/vinell_bob.htm), but it's not that helpful.

Are any of you French Alphadromer's familiar with this comic?

Anyway, here's the cover art, and then a close up of the robot.

post-124-1265636029.jpg

post-124-1265636038.jpg

Les Exploits de Radar was published between 1947 & 1948 in Lyon ! 12 n° were made . Here are 2 other covers with interesting Robot like machines !!! N° 5 was titled La guerre des Robots (War of the Robots) , & the whole story narrates the adventures of a super scientist journey through the solar system. Very HG Wells looking, as the interior art of N° 8 shows.

The strip has a nice vintage flavour, à la Flash Gordon conquers the Universe or similar old RKO serials.

post-75-1265851449.jpg

post-75-1265851459.jpg

post-75-1265851966.jpg

Archived