Space Toy With Globe And Rocket

gernot

I was lucky to get this beautiful toy last year from a Bulgarian seller ("buy it now").

It is an unusual, but very nice wind up toy. I remember to have seen it only once before.

There are no markings, but the globe does show CCCP which is obviously the origin of this toy (= USSR Soviet Union 1922 to 1991) .

It is a wind up toy with great graphics. It shows a rocket, Sputnik, Moon and Saturn as well some scenes obviously from Russian fairy tales.

When winding up the toy and moving the switch, a small red plastic Rocket is moving around the globe which is fixed.

There are also some sounds from a bell and additional "clicking" sounds.

It is basically made of thick tin but under the base is a thick cardboard. At the bottom there are some leftovers from printed letters, but impossible to recognize anymore.

I guess it could be an early toy of the 60s or 70s - at least after Sputnik was launched - but that is just speculation from my side.

However, it is a beautiful addition of a wonderful toy related somehow to "Space toys".

Anybody knows this one or has any more info ?

post-25-1264969775.jpg

post-25-1264969787.jpg

post-25-1264969799.jpg

Gernot, one word, charming ^_^ . It harkens back to old music box action, simple yet elegant. Gernot, you've done it again, an artful piece.

These are the toys that in many ways are of more intrest to me, I sometimes tire of seeing the "rare" stuff, so rare that everyones got them.

I wonder what the significance of the characters on the flying carpet are? and especially the characters on the back? :blink:

Noel

It's funny I seemed to know this image but I couldn't figure out where from. So I did a search and found the following:

Old Khottabych (Russian: Старик Хоттабыч, Starik Khottabych) is a fantasy comedy film produced in the USSR by Lenfilm in 1956 based on a children's book of the same name by Lazar Lagin. In the USA was used the release name The Flying Carpet.

A boy named Volka discovers an ancient vessel on the bottom of a river. When he opens it, a genie emerges from there. He calls himself Hassan Abdurrahman ibn Khottab, or in Russian style Khottabych. Grateful Khottabych is ready to fulfill any of Volka's wishes. But it appears that Volka should use the powers of the genie carefully, for they can have undesirable results.

I have no idea why this struck a cord with me. I know my brother had a number of Russian folk tale books maybe one of those stuck in my mind. :blink:

• 4 years later...

After much searching I managed to obtain a very nice example of this music box. It is a beautiful piece with wonderful fantasy litho. I also came across a picture of a boxed example (not mine, unfortunately) that gives the toy a name: СПУТНИК or SPUTNIK

_T2eC16J2C21y0E9s2S529qrBQ2Cz2C21SMiw7E7

Well done Brian, they do appear now and again on Ebay, but with high price tags. There was one that I missed that went for under $200, hoping yours was the one! :biggrin:

Noel

Archived