Zom-bot Project

robothut

9tobor9 asked me to turn the robot pictured in the Zom-Bot artwork (you can find on line and buy if you like) into a working toy robot. so here it is. The robot walks with stop and go action, the razor arms spin around and extend out. The robot calls the undead pests by saying in a plesent voice " over here". I used an on line TEXT to VOICE site to make the audio sample. The wired remote has 2 AA batterys and one 9 volt battery.

You Tube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-Oh80fHTU

Attached link to Zom Bot page.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/ZomBotPage.html

the origional artwork and a animated gif of the my zom bot in action.

post_631_1262895719.jpgZomBotGif.gif

post-7-1264708971.jpg

post-7-1264709070.gif

I started with a gear box from a thunder robot repro. I made new leg linkage and outside leg parts. I used the thunder robot gear box because it has a built in Stop and Go action and built in drive for spinning a shaft dead center top.

post-7-1264709252.jpg

post-7-1264709283.jpg

DSC06296.jpg

DSC06298.jpg

DSC06305.jpgpost-7-1264709325.jpg

I used a old radio shack digital record / play back chip for the audio sample. The old thunder clicker was changed to be the trigger switch for the audio sample. My idea was the sample "OVER HERE" taken from the artwork page would play when the robot stoped walking to attract the un dead, but the sample seems to trigger more often than that so the robot is calling for the undead almost all the time. The brain was something that I thought I might find as a small toy and just use but in the end I made the brain from plastic that I covered with alluminum foil for wrinkles then pained to match the artwork. The eyes are beads. Thw mouth is made from a detail part deom a smoking robot and a washer that I drilled out the hole pattern into. the ears are wiggle eyes painted the top of the head is from a gumball container, the clear dome came with a small robot toy. The arms are on a slip clutch so if you do get too close you will not lose a finger. The razor arms are just aluminum.

post-7-1264709999.jpg

post-7-1264710059.jpg

That's awesome!

My girlfriend and I are constantly discussing ways to survive the impending zombie apocalypse (c'mon, you know it's coming), but we never thought about building a robot to help us out. The Zom-Bot is perfect!

Great idea, Xris! Great job, John!

Now thats different !! The Whole concept is well a whole new direction . I wonder if the clutches could be modified to dispatch stray cats. :P Great box !

Great job John!!! I noticed you removed the price tag from the box artwork. Just a word of warning, keep the zombot away from Mr potato head or you might wind up with a pile of french fries :o

That's pretty awesome! My buddy downstairs is always talking about how to protect the house when the zombies come. I just sent him the link. I think we found the solution. LOL

John

I must be losing it. I don't remember ever seeing this robot before. :rolleyes: John, you can't get near it, but this robot is awesome! :P I love it! ER&S, I love good french fries! :lol:

Phil, that robot art was posted by somebody a while back along with some other robot art (I can't find the thread). First time we all saw it I think. It's hilarious!

Archived