The Tomik 6 Shooter

Tinplate6

Wow! Never seen before this red version! Great! Super rare! I have the reverse colour combination: yellow gun with red trigger. Congrats!

There are 4 colour variations known:

- Metallic blue with silver trigger

- Silver with metallic blue trigger

- Yellow with red trigger

- Red with yellow trigger

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget the bronze one. It's a legit variation -- I know a collector who has one. It's definitely a rarer variation, though, and I haven't seen many.

Oh, and the one on eBay is the real deal. The discoloration you're seeing, Alessandro, is an illustion caused by the photography and the way the light reflects off the slightly worn edges of the fins. I won the auction and once it shows up I'll post some better photos.

So that makes:

Metallic Blue w/silver trigger

Silver w/Blue trigger

Metallic Blue w/blue trigger (I've seen one -- almost won it but didn't bid enough)

Yellow w/Red trigger

Red w/Yellow trigger

Bronze w/Bronze trigger

I also have a test-shot that's all yellow.

And I'd guess there are silver versions with silver triggers, though I can't remember having seen one.

I've spoken to an expert on Thomas Toys, a guy who was friends with Islyn Thomas himself and who wrote a book about plastic toys, and he told me he suspects the red and yellow versions might be British. Thomas Toys was started by Islyn after he came over to the U.S. from Wales. Prior to that, he and his brother started Poplar Plastics in the U.K. Apparently, the two companies would often share molds, and it's known that many Thomas toys were produced overseas as Poplar toys. He thinks that might have been the case with the candy-colored guns.

I also know that every instance of Bronze gun that I've seen has come from U.K. sellers. Not definitive proof of anything, but I'd guess the Bronze ones were produced overseas in association with Poplar, too. Just a guess, though. I plan on reaching out to the guy I know to see if he has any further thoughts.

It's a neat toy. I'd like to get some of the candy colored ones -- I've now got all three standard metallic versions, as well as a bagged example and the prototype. Anyone have a yellow or red one they're looking to sell? :)

Assuming that the bronze version that just sold on ebay is legit, It looks like the seeds of doubt planted by Alessandro did Doc a great favor. ;-) Congrats!

Well... Except that posting the active auction on Alphadrome might have also brought it to people's attention. So... Maybe we'll call it even? ;-)

• 5 months later...

This one is from the UK. I don't remember where I got my red version from but it very well may have been from the UK. I'm now assuming the red is a UK version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252078327734?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's hard to say, because I have the reverse colour combination (yellow w/red trigger) and I found it in the US. So it's a puzzle...

• 2 years later...
16 hours ago, Fineas J. Whoopie said:

Just picked up a bronze version. Now I need a yellow if anyone wants to sell one.

004.JPG

Ha! It reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book..."One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish".

Archived