The Tomik 6 Shooter

Tinplate6

The Tomik 6 Shooter was made by the Thomas Mfg. Corp., out of Newark NJ in the 50's. It is one of the very few rubber band space guns made.

post-656-1263443271.jpg

When I bought it I thought it was mint on the card, unfortunately, upon closer examination, the card turned out to be a reproduction. :huh: The gun is in excellent condition however. This toy is just unusual in so many ways, it's tiny, a little over 4 inches long, and it resembles a minnow. :lol:

post-656-1263443308.jpg

The maker claims it can fire 6 rubber bands without reloading. Well, I just had to try it. The operation is simple but effective...after loading the bands, pulling the trigger raises a ratchet up out of the large tail fin.

post-656-1263443410.jpg

After the first band goes, each successive trigger pull, lifts the remaining bands up one notch, until all have fired. It is a bit of a hit and miss though, occasionally, the bands get pinched between the fin and ratchet and jam the mechanism. An odd little item to be sure. ^_^

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the little Tomic gun. Some of the small rayguns have the best space graphics.....and they don't take up much space to display.

post-224-1263476120.jpg

post-224-1263476133.jpg

post-224-1263476126.jpg

post-224-1263476143.jpg

I used to always refer to the Tomik gun as "The Fish Gun." I've had this idea of getting five or six of them and displaying them in a sardine can...

That's pretty funny Doc, if they weren't so expensive that would be a great idea.

Electric, great display, I have every one of those, but I love the way you show them.

Reproduction or not, I've never seen that card before. Thanks for posting it Tinplate, I just love seeing stuff that is new to me.

Joe - that red whistle gun is a beaut!

A good choice to pick it up! :blush: The gun has a great design.

Than I saw your pic about the mechanism I remembered that a school buddy has a gun with the same function.

Don´t know if it was a space gun. Then (early 70s) it was a miracle for me to see how quick he shoot the rings :o

until he explained how it works.

Here´s a special version for the Tomic 6 Shooter by Thomas, which never went into production:

http://www.oniva.com/upload/1875/TM1955D.JPG

http://www.oniva.com/upload/1875/TM1955E.JPG

Wow Blech, that would indeed have been a great toy combination. :o It's too bad that so many great designs never went into production. :closedeyes:

I never really understood the mechanism of the Tomic before. pretty cool. Thanks for the post.

Blech those Tomic accessories are incredible!!

• 4 years later...

Yikes! I paid less that for my carded example. I barely paid more for my PROTOTYPE, and it came with TWO production guns (silver and blue), plus that other tiny Tommy Toys dart gun!

That said, I've seen these get surprisingly decent money -- $75-$100, sometimes. But there's no reason to spend more than that, they're just not that rare.

I was gonna ask the same thing but was beat to the punch; here's a pic of the gun, the side fin on the opposite side was broken too. Crazy!!!

post-329-0-59070100-1406476058_thumb.jpg

Its a lot easier to get bitten by the ray gun bug than it is to become well educated on ray guns.

Archived