The Tomik 6 Shooter

Tinplate6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to tidy up the information from previous posts, here are the photos of the Ferriot masters for the Tomik in its space cannon form. They completely alter the scale and perception of the gun.

The metal cannon and astronaut figure are incredible! The base looks to have an extra slot to accommodate a trigger on the gun.

To fill in some blanks for those who've never seen these before:

These pieces are metal mold masters, and they were used to create the mold cavities that were then used to make the production pieces. The gun has no trigger because this mold master is only for the outer shell -- not the inner trigger/rubber band mechanism. That would have had its own metal piece (which, come to think of it, I've never seen...). Companies would often use metal mold masters, but sometimes companies would use hard plastic sculpts as guides to cut the molds.

Ferriot Bros. was a company used by toy manufacturers to make mold cavities. But they also carved final sculpts, created mold masters, etc. They were the best of the best. I'm lucky enough to own a mold cavity created by them for one of the targets in the Rex Mars target game by Marx. It's likely they carved the final sculpts, too.

Thomas Toys never put the Tomik figures or gun base into production. Which is really too bad -- they're super cool!

It was sold privately a couple years ago -- I don't know who currently owns it, though it came out of the hands of a long-time prototype collector who I believe got it directly from Islyn Thomas -- founder of Thomas Toys (the two were friends). It was listed on eBay a few years ago for waaaaaay more than I could spend. It's one of my favorite pre-production pieces, something I'd love to own, and to this day I wish I'd found a way to scrape together the money. Oh well.

It'd be expensive to do plastic figures. You'd have to cut steel molds using these masters and those cost some serious cash. Not to mention the potential risk to the mold masters...

On the other hand, it'd be relatively safe -- and certainly less expensive -- to make silicone molds and then cast the figures in resin. Not that hard to do for someone who knows what he or she is doing. (If I could pull it off with those Alphabots and Alphanauts, anyone can do it!)

Still... Sometimes it's nice to leave the unproduced stuff as unproduced. There's something cool about toys that never happened. The "what if?" scenario that romantics and poets are so fond of.

Maybe they exist in an alternate universe. :)

• 7 months later...

I was chatting with Doc last night and I mentioned my red version. I didn't realize it was a rare color. How many color variations are known? Sorry for the poor photography and unfortunately I don't remember if I got this from an American seller or from overseas. I can't see any difference between the red version and my blue.

post-143-0-53389900-1427051111_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-42099800-1427051125_thumb.jpg

Archived