1953 - Space Helmet With Goggles by Banner

Fineas J. Whoopie

This Schiller catalog is significant because it moves the year back to

1953 for the Banner Space Helmet with Goggles and the Tommy-Ray

Automatic Space Gun by B&W Molded Plastics.

post-143-1261268844.jpg_BhjRkhwB2k___KGrHqEOKjUEsmSlz_BkBLJp_m_JRg___3.jpg

_BhjRgOwBmk___KGrHqIOKj_Ery0JkcGMBLJp_ZuVFg___3.jpg

post-143-1261268859.jpg

On Google news archive there's the following entry which dates it dates it back to 20th September 1953. I'm assuming "NoiFe" is "Noise" but then again some of these ray guns do weird things ;) .

Display Ad 44 -- No Title

Pay-Per-View - Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Sep 20, 1953

There's lot. of fun and excitement in the automatic flashing-noise repeating tommy ray gun and sturdy streamlined helmet. NoiFe and light produced by ma_- ...

Great find, Don! 1953 -- it's pretty amazing how early that gun came out.

This is the second reference to "revolving goggles" I can remember reading re: the Banner set. Has anyone EVER seen a pair of goggles that have revolving eye pieces? Do you think this is just a mistake on the part of the catalog designer, or perhaps a bit of eft over information from a point when the goggles were supposed to rotate -- even though they never ended up doing so? Or did they rotate by hand and the catalog writer decided to include the info as an additional selling point, even though it wasn't really anything that impressive? (Kind of like how, under special features, DVD boxes will list "Interactive Menus," despite the fact that they're hardly "special features.")

Here's the earlier Timeline thread for them, including Sparkrobot's 1953 French magazine cover:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...=banner+goggles

Nowhere, in any of the descriptions including the Blast Off! photo of the helmet and the box, does it mention "batteries required". Were these revolving goggles battery operated, or perhaps wind up? I tend to think they could just be manually rotated. At most, perhaps, they were internally gear connected, so that when one was turned the other turned as well. They seem to be mounted on an awfully large base piece, don't you think?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go back to that original April 18, 2007 thread and revise the date to reflect these 1953 sightings!

Great find, Don! 1953 -- it's pretty amazing how early that gun came out.

This is the second reference to "revolving goggles" I can remember reading re: the Banner set. Has anyone EVER seen a pair of goggles that have revolving eye pieces?

When I read the blurb in the ad I assumed they meant the goggles as a whole revolved on a pivot at the side of the helmet. The reason I thought this was because the revolving goggles are included with the "elastic chin and and head strap" statement which seems to be a part for the adults so they know how to adjust the helmet and that the goggles revolve out of the way rather than being pulled away from the face like swimming goggles etc. Though if that was the case I would have that rotate or pivot would have been a better word than revolve.

ANZ, the goggles and helmet are two separate pieces. The goggles are held on by a strap, and are not connected to the helmet -- so that's not what the "rotation" refers to.

These toys: an endless mystery! :)

ANZ, the goggles and helmet are two separate pieces. The goggles are held on by a strap, and are not connected to the helmet -- so that's not what the "rotation" refers to.

These toys: an endless mystery! :)

I wasn't sure it was given the use of the word revolve. I must admit I am intrigued now and went searching while I didn't find anything from '53 for this helmet I did find two articles from '58 which seem to describe the same helmet though the spaceship on top is now an Explorer satellite. Did they re-issue this helmet with an update or is this a different helmet?

post-1110-1261537854.jpg St Petersburg Times 16 Nov 1958

post-1110-1261537842.jpg Milwaukee Sentinel 6 12 1958

• 3 months later...

An auction recently ended on EBAY for a set of the Banner Radar goggles and it had some good pictures of their construction. From the images it appears that the radar parts could be rotated by hand and even removed.

post-1110-1270533369.jpg post-1110-1270533376.jpg post-1110-1270533382.jpg post-1110-1270533392.jpg

• 9 months later...

Recently on EBAY there was an auction for a Banner space helmet box. However, the helmet on the box wasn't the standard Banner space helmet, it is the variant I found mentioned in the adverts from my previous posting. Instead of a space ship it has a copy of the Explorer Satellite. Unfortunately no sighting of the helmet just the box.

Link to auction

post-1110-0-98087200-1296035906.jpg

• 4 years later...

Archived