Foki Build

Ranger

Since I bought John's great metal Foki built in 2006 off Chilli recently plus the 3D versions I have bought from John I have become smitten with foki. Anyway, god knows how long it will take me and what it will be like but i am having a go at making my own version. It's very much a 'work as I go prototype' as you can see so it's all rough and ready. I just I got some sheet metal and went off to the workshop for a couple of hours and this is as far as i have got today. All trial and error as to what works and what is the best way to tackle something.  I think the ears will give me a bit of a problem but i will have a go at it. I think it will function somewhat similar to the original    (:pigsfly:), I am not going down the walking route with this one. It will soon be the busiest time of year for me so  I will have little time but I aim to do a bit of work on it every week when I can. No electric scroll saw, no bandsaw, just a few jewellers piercing saws, hand drills etc. I like to make things hard for myself eh. So, don't expect it finished anytime soon but it will be done and it will work, Famous last words eh!

1 METAL ARRIVES.jpg

2 HEAD SAWN OUT.jpg

3 CUTTING OUT THE EYES.jpg

4 TEMPLATE.jpg

5 HEAD SHAPED UP.jpg

6 MARKING OUT THE EARS.jpg

7 Sawing ears out.jpg

8 EAR SAWN OUT.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha

Thanks, i need the good luck. Actually, I don't think it will be too bad. It certainly won't be an exact replica for sure. I may even add a few details which I think will look good but you will have to wait and see what that might be.  I do it as I go mostly, if it works then fine, if not then obviously it's plan B. Hope i don't get to plan 'Z'!  As I say, the ears will be the tricky bit i think but i will have a bash at it it. If it works out reasonably well I will have a go at a walking version.

Thanks guy's!  I think i have the ears almost sorted now. Ha, this one is actually made of solid silver under the paint. A few more alterations to the size/depth etc and it should be ok....maybe!  I was thinking of making the whole robot it in 925 silver sheet! A bit over the top and expensive for a first off effort though. Still a long way to go, I have plenty of time to make a dogs dinner of it!!

ear prototype 4.jpg

ear prototype.jpg

ear prototype 2.jpg

ear prototype 3.jpg

'Ear we go again Eddy!!! looks fabby

Funny, I was thinking last night about the finish, I wondered about an all chrome version abit Gortish but neat idea. Silver, well that would be a first. go for it matie

cheers Chilli

Ta matey. It turned out quite well for the first one I tried to make I thought? All chrome...hmm. Yes a silver sheet one is very possible. Be a bugger to polish on my machine, all those square edges and bits to catch in the mop eh. I remember years ago when I was first time working in a jewellery workshop, someone brought in their really heavy gold chain for a repair...... the links must have been 2.5 or 3 mm diameter. The boss was talking to the owner and I had to polish the darned thing. Bugger me, it caught in the mop, wrapped my knuckles (they bled!) before flying over my head (lucky!) and flew about 8 feet across the workshop, hit the wall with a loud crash and slithered down behind the radiator!  Yes, even those big heavy links were mangled up!

I got the name 'El Destructo' that day.:wacko:

I am still called that by my old workmates now and again when I see them. It doesn't bode well for my making robots eh...ha!  Anyway, I digress, lets see how this one goes first. By the time i eventually finish it some of us may not be around to see it or even remember I started to do it!!  I will probably have forgotten my self about it next week! Ha!  If only I didn't have to work and had lot's of time to tinker. Some chance!

Well, you have the name for the robot right there, Eddy.

El Destructo    perfick   Foki El Marciano is now Foki  El Destructo

no need for thanks, I will bask in my smarty arsyness

cheers

Chilli

Archived