The Mailman Stopped By...again!

Tinplate6

Is it a bad thing if when the mailman stops by to deliver a package he always says..."more toys"? Yeah, he knows me too well.

I had two packages arrive today. The first, is a "Billy Blastoff Bubble Popper Water Gun", a pretty long title for a space gun. It's an exact replica of little Billy's signature red and gray gun. Made by Eldon in 1968, this gun has a unique selling point...it does two things; it has a wand on the tip of the barrel to allow you to blow bubbles, then you can shoot them down with the water gun. A sort of do it yourself target practice...to quote the package.."dip, swing, then sock it to your bubbles 100 times without refilling". The gun is 6" long, and comes with a bottle of "ELDON Bubble Popper Target Maker Stuff"...I don't know, but where I come from, we call it soap solution.

post-656-1244272611.jpg

The second gun is the Razer ray gun, which looks like an intergalactic Uzi. I know I alluded to this in another post, but it hadn't actually arrived yet, it looks much better in person. The main gun is 8" long with a 5" detachable stock. The makers mark is HY from Hong Kong. It was a sparkler, but doesn't put out sparks, otherwise its dead mint, my guess would be the late 70's. The unusual gold body with the red and green lenses makes it look much better than the standard Razers. I don't know, does it look better with or without the stock attachment?

post-656-1244273087.jpg

post-656-1244273095.jpg

Here are some close ups of the Bubble Popper, after c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y removing it from the backing card. Its very basic, but could have been more impressive if it weren't for the manufacturing damage.

post-656-1244338487.jpg

The day-glow red canopy would have looked better if not for the slapdash application of the glue, which left the plastic somewhat milky in appearance.

post-656-1244338533.jpg

post-656-1244338544.jpg

The rubber plug at the rear of the gun has reacted with the styrene plastic and melted around it. In the close ups you can see it is marked "Bubble Popper" on the rim of the wand at the tip of the barrel.

post-656-1244338557.jpg

Its a very clean simple style, but rather unremarkable in design.

post-656-1244338639.jpg

Interesting gun. Definitely a lot of play value -- can't go wrong with a toy that gives you targets to blast. I'd have loved playing with it as a kid...

I like the day-glow top part, too. I love translucent plastic... That was my weakness when I was collecting vinyl toys. If it was a translucent color, I had a REAL problem. Or, rather, my wallet did. :)

Nice score.

Nice documentation of how even a mint, freshly opened plastic gun can have sloppy glue joints. I see a lot of glue joints like this and it's easy to wonder if the gun has been repaired. Good post Tinplate6.

Archived