I. D. This Space Gun

Joe K.

post-544-1264536064.jpg

I can remember that once I had a revolver very similar to the red plastic one in the middle of the pic.

It shots with cotton/paper balls. The handle had an embossed Indian, or was it a cowboy. That was long ago :D .

Okay - back to space guns! ;)

I'm not sure which colorful gun you're referring to, Joe.

The one that looks like it's got a lot of litho on it -- red and yellow and black and blue -- is the Cosmic Ray Gun. It was made by Ranger Steel Products, and toyraygun.com dates it at "about 1954." The 1952 date is very exciting!

It was available in two color variations -- one with a darker red tip, one with a lighter orange tip. (Distinctly different colors, not a reaction to age or light or anything like that.)

All I know about the Tom Corbett Gun was that it was made by Marx. It features a wind up mechanism, and is made out of both lithographed tin (body) and plastic (stock and handles). Toyraygun.com doesn't have a date for it.

Random: The red cowboy gun in the lower right corner was made by Tigrett, who also made the Jet Zoom Gun.

I had one of those Space Cadet guns, they are extremely fragile, and the plastic barrel is almost always warped. The earlier ones came with a separate wind up key, easy to lose, later models had the key attached to the winding post. The spring coils rust like crazy, and the litho is held to the plastic body with small plastic pins melted back into rivets, these are often broken. Needless to say, I sold mine. Perhaps someday I'll find one in mint condition, but if it isn't, don't buy it.

Archived