Planet Robot, Am I Missing Something?

Chris

Foneas - Nice catch! I've also been to this shop may times and this guy has always had a boxed Planet for sale in his showcase for the last twenty years! Only difference is that the price has always gone up to match the times!

This robot having been made into the 1980's certainly puts the old "warehouse find" story to sleep once and for all. I was getting tired of always hearing about some guy finding cases of these robots from the 1960's unopened in somebodys basement.

So how come there aren't MIB High Wheel robots all over the place like the Planets?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do ANY High-Wheel boxes have the ST (safety toys) marking on them?

Dr.A - The "ST" High-Wheel box turns up in the Sotheby's/Matt Wyse auction catalog (item #194) from Nov. 7, 1996 and, again, in a Skinner Toys & Dolls catalog (item #649) from July 8, 2000. Everyplace else I checked had the "ST-free" style box.

Bill, I''m glad to hear that you will be getting your money back. That is very good news!

[Do ANY High-Wheel boxes have the ST (safety toys) marking on them?]

I got one of the High Wheel robots with the ST marking on the box from the Barrett auction. The box and robot were in C-9+ condition. Perhaps it was manufactured towards the end of the High Wheel's production run. Here's a picture of it.

1071_1_md.jpg

• 10 years later...

I chose this old thread to post this ad from a recent ebay auction because it is at the heart of the debate over the variation timeline of the Planet Robot, mostly regarding which type of hands came first. This ad could be useful in clearing up this debate (note the October 1962 date at the bottom) but I'm not going to make any conclusions. As far as I know this whole issue has been cleared up in another thread somewhere. Any thoughts?

post-143-0-54837700-1412456592_thumb.jpg

Beautiful ad - remember in our Time Line Joe found an ad for this robot in a 1958 catalog and Jimmy Sparks alluded to a 1956 sighting. The Japanese runs were generally for five year cycles so this could be near the end of his run.

Archived