Alphabot Build Two Is Underway.

robothut

John,,,,You will be pleased to here another one has arrived in England,,I must admit I was getting a bit worried as yet another post workers strike is looming over here at the moment.

The first thing you cant help noticing is the love and care John has put into this project ,,even down to the superb packaging.

The styrofoam was clinging a little bit ,but I found a VERY damp cloth wiped over him gently does the job.

I had to try him out ,and he works perfectly!

Thanks again John,,You are a Star..

I dont actually collect many custom or new market bots so here is a pic of Alphabot with my favourite Andybot 'Stoke' and my old favourite new market bot 'Sinister Creep'......

DSCF3017.JPG

post-540-1255632212.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robothut

• MetalRobotHead

• Sparkrobot

• Hoserflash

John. I have been thinking of adding a flashing dome on mine, would it be much of a problem. Not actually there, added in the paintshop to see what it look like.. :unsure:

1.7_Alphabot_beacon__2_.JPGpost-214-1255679503.jpg

Metalrobothead, You know, I almost added that option on my robot too at the last minute, but I had already changed my design twice and I didn't want to drive John crazy. :wacko:

It should not be a problem to add the flashing dome light. You could do it several ways. One way would be to just add a 3.8 volt to 4.5 volt lamp (same lamp that is used in 3 cell flash lights) to the dome and wire it a cross the lamp for the chest display, or you could wire it to the horn buzzer so it only lights when the horn sounds, or since you have 4.5 volts (when you use new batterys) you could use flashing LEDs. If you use flashing LEDs add a blocking diode so that when the robot walks backwards you do not send the reverse volyage to the flashing LED. You could use 2 flashing LEDs with two blocking diodes so that one of the flashing LEDs will light no mater what direction the robot is walking.

robothut -

It should not be a problem to add the flashing dome light.

John. Thanks for the info, just one more question, is best to remove the front or back cover to access the wiring?

The Front, Do not try to remove the back, you have motors, horns, switches and resin Eye/ear parts screwed and glued to the back. It was deisnged for the front to come off for repair or modifications.

The Front, Do not try to remove the back, you have motors, horns, switches and resin Eye/ear parts screwed and glued to the back. It was deisnged for the front to come off for repair or modifications.

Thanks for that, I am definitely going to do it, just need the correct dome/beacon to compliment the original design.

Received my AlphaBot today and played with it,

scaring the hell out of my cat when the siren on

AlphaBot screamed, and then picked a display

spot in a glass cabinet.

post-66-1255725916.jpg

A closer look. Beautiful work, John (and fast!)

AlphaBot_At_Home_001.jpg

AlphaBot_At_Home_002.jpg

post-66-1255725837.jpg

YES,YES,YES!!!...my boy has arived 😄 ,and john ,your finnished photo of him,athough impressed me,does not do him justice.He is a beaut!.Ilove how you have left his screw heads chrome thus keeping a continuity with his siver arms and antennae,he's a hefty weight too.Unfortunatly I cannot post any photos as I dont have my camera at home at the moment,but will do as soon as I do.He is standing proudly in my latest display cabinet with his wonderfull box art as a backdrop. I have had orders to stop playing with him as "his buzzer/horn is too loud for this time of night"!. :glare: John there isnt much more in the way of thanks and respect that I could add to what folks have already expressed to you,other than your dedication and competence in delivering the end performance to great idea has been,.... (hey alphadromers fill this part in yourselves).Sincere thanks John,and in the words of Spock "Live long and prosper" 😉

Supper cool Hoserflash, now that only leaves Gernots bot that just shipped this week to arrive, as Ozzy and Kilroy both have recieved there bots/kits.

Oh forgot to comment,Spark..that sinnister creep,hes a giant of a thing,where did you get him?

HFlash,,, I bought Sinister Creep from Jays great store Robot Island a few years back.I love him in his inky dark blue colour.....I'm pretty sure he's sold out now ,but he does turn up on ebay now and again.

I cant resist this opportunity to show Alphabot in the main display cabinet ,with a little bit of searching you will find him standing proud. .He's such a 'Classic' looking robot he looks completely at home.

post-540-1255794963.jpg

Spark, your display cabinets look a bit special,are they a bespoke build?.I have the Ikea all glass cabinets with down lights in them which I fitted myself,I will post some photos as soon as I pick up my camera

Hflash,,,,,,I did a lengthy post a long while back [i cant find it anymore,it might have been deleted in the recent 'post clearoutl'] about the construction of my display cabinets,,,,,,I wont go into detail again ,but basicaly I made them myself mainly using a lot of premade kitchen doors bought from the now closed down MFI.