Domed Easel Back Helmet

ScrewLoose!

Doc,,, I'm talking about if the unit was formed in one piece. At the bottom of the helm ,where it turns into a collar can be tricky to "Pull" on a Vacuum table. The vacuum wants to pull down towards the vacuum source, not "In" . I know it doesn't make sense but its a gravity thing. Unless you could pull it upside down. OWE ! Dripping molten plastic on my arm. :P

Lets see what John and Gramps think. I'm thinking this thing has to be formed in two pieces unless the plastic is so thin it will pull . But I think that is a problem encountered by the original manufacturing process,,,,,,,thus the two pieces.

I understand how the vacuum works, and I understand what you're saying... except the original was never one piece. It's a front piece and a back piece that are glued together. I'd want the reproduction to work the same way, or what's the point? ;)

If that's the case, you will have to disassemble an original , otherwise no overlap. How is the glue on that seam ? Here ya go Doc. I just picked this up at a dentist office auction. This thing will move some air . Hmm I can't upload a photo,,,, Well let me try it with photobucket. Oh yeah, watch this video on the evolution of the Bot.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1206622/robot_evolution/

IMG_8551_1.jpg

The part is very simple to vacu form, no under cuts, it is a two part design and the reproductions would be as well . The two parts are glued together with normal water thin plastic glue that you apply with a syringe. I think that the two slots at the top of the dome where it connects to the head were melted in useing a flat forked tool after the domes were glued together, we can do that or dremel in the slots. There would be two master parts one will have a raised lip added around the bottom of the slug, this makes for the glue over lap space, the second will not have a a added lip but will have added depth for the over lap plastic so that when the two parts are joned the out side dimension is still correct. If I can find the time I will work om the master molds.

• 2 months later...

Archived