Vintage Walkie Talkies

dratomic

This photo shows the size compared to a Jefferson nickel:

post-16-1246238185.jpg

2" wide, 3 1/8" high (5 3/8" to the top of the antenna)

A blue and yellow color variation, with no antennas, was sold under the Space Patrol name and called SPACE-O-PHONE. See Blast Off!, page 160.

And a reverse color combination, again with no antennas, sold as a Kellogg's cereal mail-away premium:

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=90&ItemNo=78436

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I´m there...or here. :rolleyes: :P

You can say it WORKS LIKE MAGIC. The Walkie-Talkies, not me!

post-544-1272986295.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here are two versions of the Lone Star Space Ace Space Phones: the commercial set and the Quaker Oats mail away premium set of the same phones. Cheap and cheerful just about sums up the build quality.

Here's an odd set, the Solar Space Phones, that claim to use sunlight. I see the idea, but it requires a stethoscope to hear anyting. Hear Ever company. Neat.

More Remco walkie talkies, Space Model XQ-2. Those phones were used for the Dan Dare set and I could never get them to work.

On Sunday at Renninger's Antique Market, I picked up this pair of Remco Space Model QX-2 Electronic Walkie Talkies. Needless to say, they didn't look this clean and shiny initially. A few minutes of Novus polish did the trick.

post-16-0-30911600-1331769060.jpg

One had already been "fixed" by a previous space cadet, so opening it up wasn't too much of a problem. Thought you might like to see what the inside of one of these looks like. The black "goop" is NOT factory original.

post-16-0-20373700-1331769083.jpg

Side view.

post-16-0-72843900-1331769120.jpg

This link will explain how these sound powered/balanced armature walkie talkies work:

http://www.crystalradio.net/soundpowered/introduction/index.shtml

• 6 months later...

Archived