• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plasticaugie

• tinluver2

• robothut

• dratomic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John, does the V-3 have missiles that shoot out of the fists? Also do you have the decal sheet that came with it?

Here are the side pannels for 6 Tomy plastic motorized robot kits. Yea too lazy to take them out and turn them around for 6 pictures. All unbuilt.

post-7-1218901522.jpg

DSC02914a.jpg

There would not be any Japan plastic robot kits if they had not already been makeing other robot kits from the 1950's some were metal "I have a all brass robot kit that is wind up" but most were wood. If you do a search on Alphadrome for Wood robots or wood robot kits you should find some ols posts from Henk , David K. and myself showing alot of vintage wood robot kits and custom wood robots.

post-7-1218901905.jpg

post-7-1218901944.jpg

post_2_1045069497.jpg

post_2_1044938187.jpg

There would not be any Japan plastic robot kits if they had not already been makeing other robot kits from the 1950's some were metal "I have a all brass robot kit that is wind up" but most were wood. If you do a search on Alphadrome for Wood robots or wood robot kits you should find some ols posts from Henk , David K. and myself showing alot of vintage wood robot kits and custom wood robots.

Yeah, I remember these. What were there three or four max? The explosion started in the 60's with the original Imai pinwalker T-28, much like the jumbo machinder explosion started with the original Mazinger Z.

John,,,,,you really are the King of robot collecting 🙂 you dont seem to miss out on any robot of importance ,,,as you said some of the robots shown here are worth having for the box art alone.......That wooden R-35 that Gernot showed us originally is getting more and more desirable every time I see it,,would you say it's very rare? and if it is ,,does this alone make it expensive?,,or do you think it's a bit too quirky for many robot collectors and therefore would not command a high price ?

Wooden robots, what's next robot pinatas?

The amazing thing about these kits from the 60's is that they were sold mainly for the Japanese market, while many of the other assembled toys were made for export.

You see in a lot of other forums about Japanese toys people regarding the American, or European versions of the toys as being "dumbed down". From Shogun Warriors to Transformers the best stuff was always sold in Japan to the Japanese. The 60's kits are a prime example of this. To say that there would not be any plastic kits if it were not for the 50's wooden kits is ridiculous. Plastic model kits were very popular in Japan and around the world since the early 50's. Some of the holy grails of toy collecting are motorized kits. Look at the Marusan Godzilla series, some of these fetch upwards of $10 grand and they were sold only in Japan.

Robot_Pinata.jpg

post-191-1218910814.jpg

Finally built my first mechanized robot model. It's a reproduction of Imai's T-28, done in the bling-riffic gold color. The toy features a wired remote control with two levers -- one turns the lights on and off, the other makes the robot walk forward with swinging arms. I had to supply the motor myself, but the model kit came with LEDs, wire, and battery connections. Building it wasn't particularly tough, through the wiring gave me a few moments of head-scratching -- the diagrams were so-so, and I couldn't read the annotations as they were in Japanese. Still, I figured it all out...

Once these things are put together, you'd never know they weren't full production toys. I mean, the plastic's a little thinner, but other than that, there's no difference in quality between something put together by the kids and something put together in the manufacturing plant -- they were all pretty cheap!

However, there was some added pleasure in putting it together myself... though that could also be the fumes from the glue talking... 😉

post-124-1218988809.jpg

post-124-1218988821.jpg

t_28.jpg

t_28_2.jpg