Old Kogure Plastic Model From The Big Kitahara Book

plasticaugie

The old V-3 robot from the Kittiara book. I finally picked one up and here it is from the ground up. You have to find your own motor, it seems rather small. Oh yeah, and a light.

post-191-1218061710.jpg

post-191-1218061729.jpgjack_in_the_box_67175.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67176.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67178.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67179.jpg

post-191-1218061753.jpg

post-191-1218061784.jpg

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plasticaugie

• tinluver2

• robothut

• dratomic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is the Crown repro kit of the vintage wind-up Giant Robot. The original kit is one of the few vintage items made for Giant Robot, animated or live action. This guy is about 5" tall and uses a metal barb type spring to keep the feet from sliding backwards during walking, does not work too well. It is 155 in the group shot pic which was offered by Ray Rohr years ago.

jack_in_the_box_67180.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67184.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67183.jpg

post-191-1218232119.jpg

post-191-1218232137.jpg

post-191-1218232179.jpg

Midori Missile Robot. In making this thread I thought I might stir up some interest in these kits making bidding on them more difficult for myself. So let's congratuate 9tobor9 on winning this Midori Missile robot. Now he has to build it and post pics in this thread. 😉

post-191-1218418521.jpg_AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Sadly, Plasticaugie, you may have done just that. I've definitely taken a liking to these guys... However, probably not enough to go after them. Sadly, there are too many toys and I don't have nearly enough money to collect them all...

However, check your Private Mail in a few minutes...

Fineas J. Whoopie said:
What do you think a boxed Patrol Robot would bring? That may be my new most wanted............

I have no idea, I want one too!

It seems like there are different levels of these robot kits. The large 'DX' (for lack of a better term) robots like Captain Patrol aka Missiler, the large thunder boy, Manmos King, and the large Kogure T-28. Then there is a mid size range, the Patrol Robot would fit in here along with the Bandai Rivet Boy, Rivet Boy video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFEFQA02ak

The box for the Rivet Boy can be seen in the Morita book.

The small size robot models that Sarasota robby was describing would include the baby thunder and a slew of others.

Not sure if this guy belongs in this thread or not but I always kind of liked him - what's the story with him?

post-143-1218503891.jpg

robot_sandwich_man_marusan_2000.jpg

post-124-1218806129.jpg

I just bought a fantastic book on these robot models. I have no idea what it's actually called, or who published it, but it came out this year. The whole thing's written in Japanese, and I wouldn't have ever known about it if not for Mark Nagata (I bought it from his web site -- www.maxtoyco.com. I stole the photos from the site, too. Sadly, he only had two for sale, and now they're both sold out.

Despite being written in a language I don't understand, it's still a wealth of information. The book features SO MANY different robot models from a variety of companies -- most of the toys were COMPLETELY new to me. All of them are from the Sixtie -- no reproductions or modern toys. Entries include brief descriptions of the toys along with multiple photos, box art, and shots of the unassembled toys on their sprues. The author even includes small diagrams illustrating each toy's action (with labels in English, no less -- these might have actually been lifted from the toys' packaging, but I can't quite tell). I'm amazed at how many of these toys fire missiles, BBs, etc.

The book also features a special gallery of original box-art paintings (with the names of the artists, when known), old catalogue photos and advertisements, group shots of toys (demonstrating relative sizes and such), and what looks like a short history of one of the model companies (Imai). It's 98 pages, hardcover, and printed on glossy stock. The book comes in a slip case and was packaged with a white T-shirt. (The shirt that came with mine was XL, so a little big... but still a neat shirt).

Here are a couple more shots from Mark's web store:

post-124-1218806143.jpg

post-124-1218806156.jpg

I have a Japanese friend -- I'll ask her if she can help me with some translating. At the very least, I'll try to find out the book's title and author so that others can hunt it down if they so choose. I'll also eventually post a few more interesting photos (once I've got a free moment or three -- probably this weekend).

This is EXACTLY the sort of research resource I wanted... Except for the whole language barrier thing, it's perfect. Unfortunately -- now I'm DEFINITELY hooked! (Sorry, Plasticaugie...)

Great, that is what I was afraid of! 😉

I just received this very same book, thanks to Brian. It is an incredible resource with examples of box art that blows away any tin robot's box art. This also provides answers to the riddle that is Imai robot series. Each one has a number. Captain patrol is number 6, baby thunder is number 5, V-3 is numer 7, and so on all the way to number 13 which is the Destroyer. This is what I have been looking for since the Morita book came out.

The bulk of these kits came out during the 60's, starting right after Ideal's robot Commando. Without being able to read Japanese I get the feeling that these kits were very popular with the Japanese kids. They were cheap, and you got the satifaction of building them yourself, something a tin toy could never deliver. This is also why we cannot easily find these today, they were not made for export, and being play-models most did not survive.

I just finished building the white re-issue T-28. Here's some pics.

post-191-1218835907.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67186.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67185.jpg

post-191-1218835972.jpg

Here is a book I picked up years ago. I think the title is "Road to the lost Plastic Models". This book is mostly Japanese model kits that resemble Gundam or Shogun Warrior type robots but were inhouse creations of the model companies, much like the Midori robots of the 60's. This also has a load of great space tanks and ships. There are a few kits of the Midori robots in here but it also has aliens which would look great with the older robot kits.

There is also a comic at the end of the book showing two kids assembling and playing with the Midori Black Satan kit.

post-191-1218888782.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67188.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67190.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67191.jpg

jack_in_the_box_67189.jpg

post-191-1218888860.jpg

post-191-1218888875.jpg

post-191-1218889006.jpg