Dan Dare Cosmic Ray Gun!

dratomic

Ah ha! Looks like another case of little ol' grandma putting some kid's Xmas toy in the closet with his name on it....forgets to give it to him/her. Doc, you've got someone else's treasure and they never even suspected a thing. :glare: :P :lol:

Hi Doc, this is without doubt the best ray gun out there and I should know....I've had the red AND the yellow versions both in mint boxes. The bad news is I sold both of them, the first went for £200.00 many years ago and the money came in very handy, then the second (yellow) went for almost £600.00 about three years ago but now I SO wished I'd kept it :( I saw this one and considered bidding but thinking it would go beyond £500.00 I left it... glad you got it! well done!

( this is the best I can do, it looks like a poor relation to the Dan dare gun :( )

Noel.

post-648-1217529084.jpg

Congrats Doc. You got it pretty fast from Japan. I think that is a beautiful gun. Your display looks better than the MIB armory.

Doc, what are the actual functions? I've been looking at your guns and the display. Now don't get me wrong, I like your display. But some of these fine pieces deserve their own display case. Each one built to the dimensions of that Gun. Each with its own LED light source and Plaque . To be mounted on a wall or placed on a table individually ! :rolleyes: Maybe I'm nuts. Quick one of you photoshop genius guys ,,,Put one of Docs guns in this case.

post-545-1217565936.jpg

Mark, what's that gun? its beautiful! give us the story... changing the subject from the Dan Dare, I've started collecting toy cowboy guns (boxed only) but this is the real deal, I take it it's yours?

Noel.

post-648-1217571323.jpg

post-648-1217571342.jpg

post-648-1217571368.jpg

post-648-1217571379.jpg

Nah, Eagle -- that's exactly how I DON'T want to display them. I've never wanted to isolate any one particular toy... Because then, it makes that toy precious, and it becomes easy to forget that the piece is a TOY. The original intent is lost... Plus, I like seeing them in the context of other ray guns. I like how the forms and colors play off each piece. Context is very important to me.

Never really liked cowboy guns. Too realistic. Makes me a bit twitchy.

I like "realistic" ray guns, because they take you a step closer to the fantasy. But even at their most realistic, the ray guns are clearly the result of someone's unfettered imagination.

Noel,,,, behave yourself !!! I'll give you the info on the gun........but lets keep this subject on Docs stuff. Did I say that ???? Me, the what did those guys call it last year ???? Hijacking or Skyjacking a thread. I can't remember. I'll get back to you on stuff like the Mattel shootin Shell and such. B) Doc, as usual you are way ahead of me !! I don't quite get it but when we get together and you explain it in person.............it all seems clear. It's the emotion you add when you tell the story in person.

Hi Doc, I know exactly what you mean, it's like Robots.. they haven't really happened yet, in the sense that they're walking among us firing gamma rays and stuff :blink:

Sorry mark, the Western guns are just to add to my Western toy section which is mainly tinplate Stagecoaches, :(

Noel.

• 3 months later...

Lovely tribeam raygun , it's one of my favorites of the Dan Dare toy guns , I also like the SP rocket dart gun in your picture , a few years ago I had the 3 versions in boxes Dan Dare , Fireball XL-5 and Space Patrol and although they had different embossing and colors they still looked quite realistic ( a wonderful design). I didn't notice a smoke ring gun do you have one?

Anton

Hi, Anton. Thanks for the kind words.

Which smoke ring gun? The Nu-Age (Big grey thing, looks sort of like a jet engine)?

Or do you mean the Space Patrol powder guns -- the small red one and slightly larger metallic green one? Shoots a puff of powder...?

Regardless, I've got all three, though I haven't updated any photos on my web site or in the "Collector's Section" in a while.

Is there another smoke ring gun?

Hi, Anton. Thanks for the kind words.

Which smoke ring gun? The Nu-Age (Big grey thing, looks sort of like a jet engine)?

Or do you mean the Space Patrol powder guns -- the small red one and slightly larger metallic green one? Shoots a puff of powder...?

Regardless, I've got all three, though I haven't updated any photos on my web site or in the "Collector's Section" in a while.

Is there another smoke ring gun?

Hi Brian;

Thank you for the reply and your collection is wonderful , I had ment the Nu-Age gun though the 2 premium Space patrol guns are quite nice as well , the only other smoke type gun I know of is one I got as a child as a cereal mail away ( still have it) it was a Quisp Ray Gun that shoots a puff of smoke from the front by loading it with talc powder , very nice design..

I do know the Quisp gun -- it's a neat toy (I don't have it... yet... ha ha...).

I just remembered, I have another powder gun. It was a premium distributed by Kelloggs, but I can't remember at the moment who actually manufactured it. The gun's pretty rare, though. If I can dig up (or shoot) a photo, I'll post it here.

Thank you and I would love to see it , I have a couple of pictures of an duplicate Quisp gun that I had which I sold a couple of years ago which I will post , speaking of Cereal premium guns I think I have somewhere a premium metal raygun from a peanut butter company if I can remember where it is I will post a picture..

Archived