The New Robot Room

dratomic

Brian, that display ROCKS dude! Your 'bots seem to be floating in space, nothing to distract from what you're eyeing.

I've been trying to figure out what kind of lighting to use when I re-shelve the guys, I've looked at the IKEA catalogue lights over the past few months and wondered how they'd work out. Your arrangement looks great! I was thinking about the 'rope light' types, in wooden cabinets wouldn't they create a great glow around the toys from the sides?

Again, great set-up. I've been very stodgy (is that a Brit term??) about changing their abode they've been in for about 22 years or so, it's gotta go and I'm still watching all you guys to see what works best and still saves enough $$ to put new stuff in occasionally, that's always been the toss-up with how much to shell out for the cabinets but yours at $60 a shot seem to work for most everyone. BTW, do they keep most of the dust off the domes? The old store display I have is almost air-tight but I'm not enthused about it anymore. :D

Looking at your post creates much Robot Envy!! :ninja: :lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the privilege just recently of seeing the good Dr's display in person. Quite simply - just awesome - loved it!!!! Even a dynamite space age walkie talkie display. Great work Brian!!!

Beautiful display, Brian; that's an amazing collection!

The exposed brick behind the glass cases provides a nice antique backdrop for the 'bots, and the guns really pop on the white shelving.

Like everyone else I'm in agreement that this is a beautiful display...I'd say even 'museum-quality'.

Where did you get the various clear acrylic stands to elevate some of your pieces?

Andy -- Thanks. But what you call "awesomeness" I call "glare from the flash." :)

plan3b -- I don't know about "museum quality," but I appreciate the sentiment. And I'll admit that I was definitely inspired by the way better museums display their pieces -- I wanted there to be enough in each "box" to convey context, but not so much that it felt jumbled (like my old display).

The little acrylic stands came from all over the place. Some are small display boxes used for things like signed baseballs, which I picked up at The Container Store. Others are display cases for small toys, like matchbox cars, which I repurposed as stands for use in the robot display. Still others were just weird acrylic boxes -- the round ones, which are actually sort of like petrie dishes -- which I found in plastics stores here in NYC. So, odds and ends that seemed to serve the situation well.

(Actually, at one point, when I ran out of standard display stands, I was even using the clear acrylic case for a MiniDV cassette tape to elevate one of the smaller bots... any port in a storm, I always say!)

AWSOME BRIAN!!! I was on a trip to Washington DC and was I surprised to see your display pics when I got back. I like the way you have the boxes set up on top. You may have a hard time getting "work" done in your office for a while. It's tough to stop tweeking and admiring when you do a new display. But seriously, does your GF know that this was the real reason you needed to buy the apartment? :lol:

Guest Scott Cragstan

Wow, very nice. I've gone from 2 to 4 of the IKEA Detolf shelves myself and as you have found they make a fantastic presentation side-by-side.

I especially like how you have the guns displayed horizontally on the backside of the white cabinets, what's keeping them suspended?

Thanks, Scott. Ikea definitely got it right with the Detolfs.

I used wire hangers to make small hooks for the guns. They pierce the back wall of the shelf, then bend up in the back. I used hot-glue to secure them (though the hooks are attached such that the guns actually hold them in place by themselves...). A pretty simple set up, actually, but it gets the job done nicely. (Until the day when you want to rearrange the shelves... but I'm not thinking about that...)

Archived