Tinplate: Working With Tin

Eagle

Nice work Noel !!! Let me see a photo of this rubber wheel for polishing. Non of these were repainted?????

Hi Eagle, I'm back at work on Tuesday so I'll send some pics. I love doing these restoration when I can fit them in but not to the extent you guy's go to! my skills fade at the sight of broken cogs,gears and loose wires :unsure: I did a repaint a 50's Nomura Caddy but then didn't want it and so now it's on Ebay. I always use "Auto-Glym" colour restorer as it's nice and creamy and not too abrasive, it gives great results. Here's just one more and I promise the next pics I post WILL be of Space toys :lol:

Noel.

post-648-1209899232.jpg

post-648-1209899248.jpg

OK, here's the battery box on the carrier after painting the cover. I also had to sand the rust along the edges of the depression that holds the cover and some rust on the metal polished plate at the contact and repaint the composition tan plate at the other end. I decided to let some scuffs on the curved battery box unpainted. The color match turned out OK. By the way, Noel, great job on your restorations! :)

post-221-1210285362.jpg

Sweet job as always Phil.. Now all we need is to find a way to repair the little Jet aircraft that is Flying CAP over the carrier.

Beautiful work, you guys.

Does anyone know if "Auto-Glym" is available in the US? And if not, what do you suppose would be an equivalent product over here?

I was wondering that too. Searching Ebay it would seem to be a UK product. I was going to try an automotive polishing compound (on some junker piece first) but I know it certainly contains abrasives.

I was wondering that too. Searching Ebay it would seem to be a UK product. I was going to try an automotive polishing compound (on some junker piece first) but I know it certainly contains abrasives.

Hi Kilroy, I posted you some wheels to try, I would suggest a color restorer rather than a polish, I think you'll find it much safer,good luck, ;)

Noel.

post-648-1210527977.jpg

post-648-1210527999.jpg

Got the wheels today, thanks Noel! (WOW fast from UK) Not what I expected - I thought it was the soft rubber tips the dentist uses to clean teeth and would be used with the polishing compound. So you just use these dry?

I was searching for the auto-glym product and wanted to ask if you are using the polish or the renovator.

Guest kenalexruss

Got the wheels today, thanks Noel! (WOW fast from UK) Not what I expected - I thought it was the soft rubber tips the dentist uses to clean teeth and would be used with the polishing compound. So you just use these dry?

I was searching for the auto-glym product and wanted to ask if you are using the polish or the renovator.

Is it possible to post a pic of those wheels? I wouldn't mind buying some to try on a few grime buckets down in the basement

Here Ken. Only 2 & 3 are flexible, #1 is hard, almost like a dremmel grinding stone.

post-548-1211076491.jpg

Hi Leon,

glad you got the wheels I sent, hope you can trace some similiar ones from somewhere, thought the attached photo would be of intrest, I was restoring these two nice coupes and discovered the baseplates were old "Schlitz" beer cans! :o

good luck,

Noel.

post-648-1211225439.jpg

post-648-1211225458.jpg

• Brian.. changed the title to Tinplate: Working With Tin

Archived