Radical Smoker Robot Conversion

robothut

...Have you thought about doing a whole bunch of robots and creating a "FOR SALE" page on your site with listed prices so guys like me can just click and buy with a credit card through Paypal? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I would like to join the club of guys who have your stuff. And I'm not sure if people are sworn to take an oath of silence when they buy your robots, but I've come right out and asked many people here on Alphadrome what they paid you for your robots and no one will share what they have paid. It's all a great big secret. I just want to be part of the secret club too. So how about it, a section of already built and priced robots for the regular guy like me to come shop for at the Robot Hut website? I think it's an awesome idea. Even if it is my own!...

I sure hope you can get him to take your advice on this ROM! I've alwas thought John should have more opprotunitites for actual sales on his site. I'm betting a lot of folks out there think John's beautiful work is out of their reach and a sales page with priced robots would certainly change that. But you also have to remember that John is an artist and the project has to appeal to him or it's a no-go. I've been shot down many times over the years so I know of what I speak. LOL! :D

But if you really want the man to build you a robot, then at least get his name right. It's Rigg. Not Riggs. But don't feel too bad. I've lost count of how many times I've corrected folks on John's name. And you'll notice he doesn't even bother at all. ;)

Actually what I charge for projects has been discussed a few times but just like this time the posts were part of some other thread and then they get lost. Here is the low down on why and what I do.

Basicly I like to post new projects here in the robot talk or customized sections for the simple reason that I think there are lots of surfers that never check out all the sections to this site, I know I don't unless some one asks me did you see such and such post in the "fill in the blank " section. I could not post to the customized section or the Robot Talk section if I were trying to sell the robot, so I always have a buyer before I post.

As Pat said I do not do projects that do not set off a spark in me, if I am not thinking about a robot project idea 100% of the time until I get it done then there is a good chance I will never get it done or if I finnish it I will hate it and wish I had never agreed to do it. You see I used to do other guys ideas and it turned out that I got to the point that Hated to do the custom robot projects and I hated to go out to the shop, so I stopped doing other guys projects and I do my projects. Now from time to time I do a project for a friend even though I personaly think it is a total waste of my time and there money but hay thats what friends are for right. Or if some one asks me to do a project and I think they have a real good idea and it sets off that spark in me then I will do the project because I know I can bring something special to the project. Now as for costs, every single project is different so what I charge is based on the materials and my time and like it or not if the project turns out to be a drag for me (no fun) then I charge more also. I did this Radical Smoker project for 9tobor9 for just $300.00 (that included shipping to Europe) because I realy wanted to do the smoker effect and the detail work, so I would have done the project even if no one had wanted it, also I have done a few projects for 9tobor9 and I know the custom project will have a good home with him. I hate to repeat projects, as now it is just work, the adventure of doing something new is gone as I have already been there and done that. Moveing on to new ideas is where its at. The more the project turns me on the more likly I am to give my time away and just try and recoop my materials cost.

There now sorry you asked? :blush:

I, for one, know exactly how John feels. I'm the same way. I rarely do commission work unless it inspires me. Otherwise it's just work and that's no fun. ;)

I hear that!!! I've been building the same stuff for four years. I think the offer of money had something to do with it. But I became bored BEYOND tears. Not any more. :)

Actually what I charge for projects has been discussed a few times but just like this time the posts were part of some other thread and then they get lost. Here is the low down on why and what I do.

Basicly I like to post new projects here in the robot talk or customized sections for the simple reason that I think there are lots of surfers that never check out all the sections to this site, I know I don't unless some one asks me did you see such and such post in the "fill in the blank " section. I could not post to the customized section or the Robot Talk section if I were trying to sell the robot, so I always have a buyer before I post.

As Pat said I do not do projects that do not set off a spark in me, if I am not thinking about a robot project idea 100% of the time until I get it done then there is a good chance I will never get it done or if I finnish it I will hate it and wish I had never agreed to do it. You see I used to do other guys ideas and it turned out that I got to the point that Hated to do the custom robot projects and I hated to go out to the shop, so I stopped doing other guys projects and I do my projects. Now from time to time I do a project for a friend even though I personaly think it is a total waste of my time and there money but hay thats what friends are for right. Or if some one asks me to do a project and I think they have a real good idea and it sets off that spark in me then I will do the project because I know I can bring something special to the project. Now as for costs, every single project is different so what I charge is based on the materials and my time and like it or not if the project turns out to be a drag for me (no fun) then I charge more also. I did this Radical Smoker project for 9tobor9 for just $300.00 (that included shipping to Europe) because I realy wanted to do the smoker effect and the detail work, so I would have done the project even if no one had wanted it, also I have done a few projects for 9tobor9 and I know the custom project will have a good home with him. I hate to repeat projects, as now it is just work, the adventure of doing something new is gone as I have already been there and done that. Moveing on to new ideas is where its at. The more the project turns me on the more likly I am to give my time away and just try and recoop my materials cost.

There now sorry you asked? :blush:

No, I'm actually very glad that I did get up the nerve to ask all my questions and thanks for answering all of them!! So if I understand correctly Mr. Rigg, I should first send you an outline for a project and if it does inspire a creative spark in you, then you would quote me a price based on your intterest in doing it combined with your hourly rate and cost of materials. And if the robot you built here for 9tobor9 was only $300.00 than I have a much better chance of actually owning a Rigg robot one day than I had realized before. So thanks very much and now I just have to email my ideas to you. B)

I also already said so on the other thread started by Robot Hunter, but let me again congratulate you on the wonderful arrival of your new grand daughter! She's a real beauty! ;)

I don't know Rom ,,,,, I think he means he creates the bot ,,,,then introduces it and the fastest guy to see it and Email him has the best chance ! ;) I know what these guys mean. I have been doing some commissions and it's really tough. Now I know what Andy meant when I bugged him for an Andy Eagle. I appreciate now what he did for me. What happens is you are going along on the project and you "THINK",, hey I nailed it,,,,,,,,,,,then you think...... But is it what "THEY" want ????????? :blush: It's hard,,,, I don't envy Michelangelo !!! Can you imagine working almost 10 yrs on a project only to have the commissioner tell you [Well it's not quite what I wanted] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

You can submit a idea and if I like it then what will happen is I will build it and when its done and I know the costs I will offer it to you first . Should you not like it or think its to much money then I will sell it to another collector. It is impossible to quote a build price on many of these one of a kind projects. Yes I can add up the basic costs of the robots used and paint used but there may be expencive additional items like nano gear motor, silicon rubber and casting resins and there is the time element. Well there is one way to quote a price with out spending alot of time on it, just quote a very high price then everything is covered no matter what but I do not work that way.Franky I would rather spend my free time building projects rather than estimating there finnal costs, so thats why I now just build the projects if the idea turns me on. With the idea stuck in my head I would have to build it anyway just to get it out of my head. Even if no one buys the compleated project, I have compleated what is important to me. I don't do this as a job, the money normaly does not break even, its a hobby a release from reality.

Archived