Repairs: Cosmetic Repairs ,,,,,tips ?

Sparkrobot

A few weeks ago we were discussing litho restoration and the use of decals. Would anyone out there be willing to send me some good straight on shots of the Rosko Astronaut ? I need a shot of the front of the radio and the top of the radio. I want to try this restoration tip.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Scott Cragstan

Hey Eagle if you really find a page that's of interest in Japanese the Google Translator does an amazingly good job. It usually even is smart enough to keep up with you when you go from link to link, transating as you go. It's gets confused when you go to an https link like if you were going to buy something though. But maybe that's good, less ways to spend equals less trouble to get into. ;)

Thanks Scott, I do use google translator but this one it had a hard time with. So I just had it translate the URL. Wow what a great video. Thank You SH Mike. I still need the photos if anyone can help.

Guest kenalexruss

" Has anyone here actually seen the tin litho process done from start to finish? "

I think this link still works.

http://sc-smn.jst.go.jp/8/bangumi.asp?i_se...renban_code=152

That's a really great link. I love that clip. It doesn't really cover the emulsion process or any of the science behind lithography, but it is a very cool and nostalgic clip indeed. Katsumasa still has hair in the tin pressing clips!

Here's a few pics in context with the making of our favorite toys from February of this year on our visit to Metal House. My son had a blast working the press machine and pumping out Tetsujins.

A very important aspect of the robot process always seems to be left out, so I have included it here as well, as without boxes, the whole collecting process would be, well, different.

Get a load of that high tech machinery used to put staples in the boxes! It weighs 500lbs!

post-536-1179359232.jpgpost-536-1179359239.jpg

post-536-1179359247.jpgpost-536-1179359253.jpg

post-536-1179359274.jpgpost-536-1179359279.jpg

post-536-1179359288.jpgpost-536-1179359295.jpg

post-536-1179359302.jpg

Guest kenalexruss

Tried the link. It's in Japanese. I just need good photos of Rosko Astronaut Radio !

I have pics, but they don't focus on the radio so much. I think a google of Jay's will reveal what you need. It's basically a red lightning bolt and a yellow oval type shape or something like that...

Sorry, looks like we went off topic here, LOL

Great photos. Cute Kid! The area these men were working looks cramped. Space is at a premium in Japan isn't it?

Jeeze, I never get off topic. Nobody gets more off topic then me. Oh well it's all in fun. Google Jay's ????? You lost me Ken.

Guest kenalexruss

Great photos. Cute Kid! The area these men were working looks cramped. Space is at a premium in Japan isn't it?

Jeeze, I never get off topic. Nobody gets more off topic then me. Oh well it's all in fun. Google Jay's ????? You lost me Ken.

The factory is actually quite big, and 3 floors high. But you wouldn't know it with all the equipment and robots and cartons everywhere.

As for the pics you need,

I mean do an image search of Jay's One and Only Robot Island! Or, just type in Rosko Astronaut on Google image, and I am sure a pic or two will pop up immediately, http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...onaut&gbv=2.

Guest Scott Cragstan

I was having trouble with the link, it works but kept getting stuck. I've got high speed but maybe that one needs a true T1... guess that will be a post-Botstock at-work activity. What I could see between the pauses was very interesting though. Thanks for adding that for us, Mike.

And Ken, cool photos. Really makes the process come alive.

Great stuff guys, looks like a magical process to me! When you see all of that metal against metal it's easy to understand why these robots aren't perfect out of the box.

Guest Scott Cragstan

Hey, it's not litho, nor even tin, and best of all, you've all probably seen it, but speaking of robot assembly lines, this seemed like a good place to insert this video link, more what I imagined a toy robot assembly line woud be like (I imagine in delightful retro commercial imagery with jaunty music, not harsh reality)

A Row-but is born

One neat thing about this is you get to see the secret function where he can detach from his remote and change from a skirted robot to a poseable robot with legs! I bet you didn't know he could do that. Of course you guys probably couldn't ever get your Slinkys to walk down stairs either, right?

BTW, I love how people used to say row-but. So if you're feeling retro, remember, it's row-but, not robot. :D

• Brian.. changed the title to Repairs: Cosmetic Repairs ,,,,,tips ?

Archived