Repairs: Cosmetic Repairs ,,,,,tips ?

Sparkrobot

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, there is a way! A trade secret I will reveal here to the board! The way to repair faded lithos is to get a hold of the pattern, color and design of the faded litho and make a decal matching the faded area. Apply and voila! (Another way also exists, but I charge for that one.....)

Besides, the decal works just great 99% of the time. Just take the time and patience to match the colors exactly and know what part of the design to "break" the decal so it blends with the existing litho. Feathering and fading can also be acheived on the decal to match it up perfectly. It's lots of work, so the piece better be worth it!

Ken is there a company that would actually make the Decal up for you?

Guest kenalexruss

Spark,

You make it yourself on your printer! Just buy decal sheets and then you are all set. There are two types of decal sheet; White backing and clear, depending on what you need. They costs about $10 a pack for about 10 to 20 full size sheets. What you do first is get your image/litho and edit it on your computer. Print a few "test" sheets on regular paper until you get the exact size and color combination. When you get that, you print on the decal sheet. Just carefully cut it to size and apply it as one would apply a decal (with water). The sheets come with instructions. Of course, testing first and a few practice runs works best. Use one sheet, make a series of decals for whatever, and go apply them to a worthless toy, etc., until you get it right. One decal sheet can make hundreds of potential litho patterns, so you can get many practice runs from just one sheet! After that, you will be experienced enough to tackle the important job.

If you are serious about trying, get in touch with me for more help, etc

Ken,,,,,That's gotta be the best tip so far,,,,,,,,,the thing is I dont actually have any robots that need this fix,but now if I see one I would usually let go I would definately give him a second thought... ;) ^_^

Is there a way to repair faded litho? Seems to me there's not but who knows!!

You know Dux that I am useless when it comes to this sort of thing -but there has to be a good method - I have seen Joel Freeman bring to life or match litho just perfectly. obviously not an inexpensive process when done by his hand.

OK. Honest to God. No lie......0000 Grade steel wool and warm Windex. Followed by Hopp's #9 Gun Oil. Honest. I swear. Ask Joe K. He'll tell you I'm not lying. I spilled my guts when we were drinking one night.

Now go do it....... ;)

Guest kenalexruss

I spilled my guts when we were drinking one night.

I know exactly what you mean. I hate when that happens, especially in a public place and all.

Guest kenalexruss

Has anyone here actually seen the tin litho process done from start to finish?

I've seen it done the old fahioned way with rubber rollers and oil based emulsions, etc. I don't think they do it that way anymore. I have also seen another method, employed by many toy makers, which is very similar/identical to the decal method.

Ken,, When the post ask for a way to restore the litho, I thought they wanted a way to bring the original pigments back, not restoration. Is there anywhere here in the USA that you could see the tin litho process being done? The hand paint method is very labor intensive kind of like fly fishing. If you want to do either of those well ,they better be your only past time.

Guest kenalexruss

Ken,, When the post ask for a way to restore the litho, I thought they wanted a way to bring the original pigments back, not restoration. Is there anywhere here in the USA that you could see the tin litho process being done? The hand paint method is very labor intensive kind of like fly fishing. If you want to do either of those well ,they better be your only past time.

I don't think anyone does lithography anymore except in rare circumstances. I know it is digitally set now and the rest with the rollers still applies. As for bringing back faded pigment, it's not possible. That's why decal application is the second best and easiest way to get a professional look. Painting by hand is for those with all the time, skill and patience in the world. Speaking of decals, believe it or not, many of our toys we see as lithos are actually giany decals applied to the metal! It was the cheaper way to do lithography in Japan during the late 50s and 60s. A sad way to find this out is to soak a piece of litho tin in water for about an hour. The decal/litho method will reveal itself and break your heart/give you a stroke as it separates from the metal in soaking water!

:) Some of the tin cans these days are covered with a plastic type film decal that will wash off in paint thinner in one big piece. -Larry7

Archived