Old Or Repro?

Sparkrobot

Dirk - Thanks for confirming the faked Henk photograph.

I wasn't aware of the photo or the fakery before today.

Strangely, when I first saw it, not only did I say "WOW!"...I thought it was a bit strange and odd...and couldn't put my finger on it. WHY?!

(I was just about to post something about it seeming odd, when David Kirk posted a reply about it.)

But as I studied the photograph a bit, I noticed some strange 'clues'.

First off, the THUNDER ROBOT gave it away. Not only the dating of the toy (because I wasn't sure when the photo was supposedly taken), but the scale of it seemed odd in relation to the child. The boy looked HUGE! (or the Thunder small). And the robots on the shelf behind him seemed 'familiar'. But I had never seen this photo of Henk before...So I beat my brain trying to figure it out. Then I noticed the "mirrored" shelf on the left side of the display and "flopped" Astronaut box. AHA! - That's what it is! This photo had been fiddled with! (with Kitahara's display, no less!) - Thanks Dirk for that photo!

What a wonderful and magical photo though! :-)

I had a grand time looking at it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Toyboy, I got a kick out of both photos! I LOVE seeing old photos of kids with robots at Christmas, or just shots of them playing with vintage robots and space toys! And being reminded of Henk's humor and photo shop talents brought a smile to my face and a fond memory of the great one.

And David, I didn't intentionally leave out the robots... the truth is I forgot my camera, and Toyboy shot the photos for me.... so if you have complaints, you'll want to take them up with him! :rolleyes:

In Toyboy's defense, I really didn't have that many robots at the show, it was almost ALL ray guns! I mentioned my site because almost all of the robots I had at the show are shown there, minus a few cool pieces like the battery op. Marx/Linemar "dream" car, (some call them 'future' cars), and the Moon Patrol car in box (well, original box top anyway).

Rocket -[O_O]-

post-177-1169636325.jpg

post-177-1169636331.jpg

post-177-1169636338.jpg

post-177-1169636344.jpg

Incredible pics, ROCKET! That's one booth I'd have been grateful to peruse, problem is I'd find more directions for collecting!! OH NO!!! :blush:

Thanks for posting those great images, certainly not stuff we see everyday, especially the early plastic items.

hey Rocket, welcome to the board.... I'm a bit of a "lurker" as my job as a CTO leaves me little time (14 hours days are a mongrel)... but by gosh I love my mechanical critters....and the drome, its great for a daily read.

Perhaps as you have guaged, revealing a source of auction/potential sale is a bit naughty. While we all love the sport, its also the hunt that counts ;)

feel free to drop us a line, and know that many are from all over the world! I'm from a tiny isolated island off the west coast of the US call Oz-Tra-ya. :)

We all look forward to seeing your collection and your enthusiasms!!

Evanism -- Rocket's been on the board for a long time... I think most of us know the extent of his collection. And I'm not sure if showing off the table from an ended toy show counts as "revealing" anything... Except, revealing what we've MISSED. ;)

Archived