Old Or Repro?

Sparkrobot

You're very welcome SPARKROBOT!!!

Well I hope wer'e not starting a survey Who's the oldest Alphadrome member ,Because it's one prize I might just win !!..

With your age you're indeed on top of all those middle 40 aged dromers. ;) To become a real alphadrome grandpa, you need something like this ... a picture of your robot or spacetoy collecting youth! :lol:

1) YOUTH OF . . . HENK ( 1959 )

2) . . . DAVID KIRK ( 1966 )

post-11-1169514655.jpg

post-11-1169515435.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D Oh man Sparkrobot, you had one of those guns as a child?!!! That is one of the coolest things that I've seen! We never had anything so cool, mostly just western capguns, and usually without the caps (sometimes just a stick that was shaped like a rifle or handgun). What a great link as a first piece from your childhood to your new collection. Just too cool! -Larry7

I WISH I had ray guns as a child, but alas, no guns at all... I was lucky to have Hotwheels... maybe this is why I now own 15 or so vintage bicyles, literally a house full of robots and space toys, and all manner of vintage cars and goodies, I'm making up for lost time!

Toyboy graciously shot these photos at my booth at the Glendale Toy Show in Los Angeles this last weekend. I thought ya'll would like to see some of the items in that large ray gun collection I got in..

There is also an additional 5' of table with robots that would not fit in the pictures, but to see that stuff, you'll just have to come to the next show in August, (or on my site). There were over 75 ray guns on the table, and just for all my friends at alphadrome, my cheesiest ray gun salesman smile.

Although I sold well, I didn't hear of any great finds (as I usually do) at the show, so I guess it's good I stayed in my booth and sold ray guns!

Rocket -[O_O]-

post-177-1169523204.jpg

post-177-1169523212.jpg

post-177-1169523219.jpg

Love the display, Rocket. Definitely the type of thing I'd have liked to stumble across at a toy show! Lovely Pyro Rifle and gold Atomic Rifle (and box). Is that gold flashlight gun on the bottom left of the display a Space Patrol, Tom Corbett, or Rex Mars gun? If it's Tom Corbett, it'd be a GREAT companion piece for that gold rifle.

What's that red gun with silver barrel and yellow box on the right side (well, your left) of the table? I've actually seen one of those before, but don't know much about it.

Also, what's that crazy yellow and blue gun on the display? Looks sorta like a cowboy gun, sorta like a space gun! (I know you mentioned it to me once before, but I can't remember the details.)

Finally -- in your glass case, there's a box that says Sonic Beam Gun... What's that? And it looks like there might be a metal gun or something lying in front of it...?

Lots of questions!

Looks great Justin! email on the way.......

Sparkrobot - I happen to love that particular tin litho gun you posted.

Rocket - WOW!!! What a magnificent display of toys at your booth! I could have spent hours there looking over everything and talking robots, spaceships, and rayguns with you! How I wish I could find a set-up like that at a local toy show! Fantastic!!! ;)

You're very welcome SPARKROBOT!!!

With your age you're indeed on top of all those middle 40 aged dromers. ;) To become a real alphadrome grandpa, you need something like this ... a picture of your robot or spacetoy collecting youth! :lol:

1) YOUTH OF . . . HENK ( 1959 )

2) . . . DAVID KIRK ( 1966 )

I remember Henk admitting that he faked that photo, but is that really him?

...well, if that's our Henk in 1959 with a Thunder 'bot, he must've had a time machine to accomplish that photo op. :unsure:

Great pic, though with all the magic thrown in.

I remember Henk admitting that he faked that photo, but is that really him?

DAVID & MORBIUS - YES - a typical HENK FAKE - of course. The pic shows an original HENK from the fifties. BUT - Henk faked the THUNDER ROBOT in ( ...remember - THUNDER is not earlier than 1967. ) + I remember somebody replied: Oh phantastic HENK - you displayed your robots in the fifties the same way as KITAHARA did 30 years later... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROCKET aka JUSTIN What a fabulous SET UP - indeed! I can not remember seeing such a high quality TABLE at any toy show before. WOW! THX - for sharing! ( Is this your $ 5000,- smile? ) ;)

post-11-1169585551.jpg

Henk is a good looking boy! My shelves weren't so nice, but that's exactly how I displayed my robots in the sixties. I had two or three shelves over my bed on those metal slats, and four or five more across the room done the same way. Someday I'll find a picture of those and post it. My dad must have made a slide.

My shelves weren't so nice, but that's exactly how I displayed my robots in the sixties.

DAVID - Only for a better understanding. HENK didn't collect robots when he was a boy. You know he was also a great PHOTOSHOPPER. THESE ARE KITAHARA's SHELFS - please have a look at KITAHARAs Book YESTERDAY'S TOYS. HENK just fricasseed it inside his pic!!! ^_^

post-11-1169595619.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, Robothunter and Dirk, it was a bit of work, but from the reactions of you guys, and those at the show, it was definitley worth it! I would LOVE to have seen more alphadromers at the show... it's quite enjoyable to share cool space toys with people who love them like I do. If anyone ever wants to come out for the show, please let me know, I will give you all the necessary info.

Dr. A - the gold pistol at the bottom right is the Rex Mars planet patrol gun... I don't think the Corbett came in gold. The red gun with silver barrel is a large gun that shoots ping-pong balls. It's quite spacey in person, really nice lines. The grip and butt are wood, and I believe the barrel is aluminum... apparently, you grip the barrel, and pull the butt back which creates pressure to shoot the ping-pong ball out. The very large yellow and blue gun on the top right is an English dart gun that's very seldom seen. It does indeed have western elements mixed with the wild space fins... a very unique gun to say the least, and quite large for a plastic gun. Finally, the Sonic Beam Gun in the display box inside the case is the U.K. version of the Buck Rogers Sonic Ray, with their very own character, captain somebody or other... Oh.. that's right, it's "Ace Hart"! It comes with a little red plastic "Space Squadron" pin, and two comics, one is the Lone Star comic, and the other is Ace Hart. The display box has great graphics, and the gun is almost identical to the Buck Rogers sonic gun.

Rocket -[O_O]-

That is a swell display, Rocket. I only had a couple of rayguns when I was a kid. I still have them—that plastic model with the colored lens that rotates, and a commonish tin Daiya Mars pistol. Every once in a while, I think it would be a good thing to start collecting, but I can't quite get over the creeps that I get from guns in general. Why aren't you showing us the robots? If we need to look at your website, what is it?

Archived