The Fjw Flying Saucer Collection

Fineas J. Whoopie

Thanks Robert. Has it been two years already? Wow - time flies when you're glued to the computer!! See ya at Botstock, right?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to know if Fin plans on bringing any of his saucers to Botstock as part of the "special displays" that Joe's got me curating.

I sort of can guess the answer... So, in lieu of the real things, how about nice close-up photos, Fin? Multiple angles, lots of detail, etc. Sort of a photographic display of the collection, for those of us who don't have a chance to really check out the toys in real life? We can talk about it further if you're interested...

Doc - I'll be flying to Botstock so I'm not very much into the idea of bringing any saucers with me. I had a heck of a time flying home with the toys I picked up in Chicago last year. You have no idea how suspect looking a battery operated Masudaya Space Ship 1 flying saucer looks when it is x-rayed in your luggage!! Imagine a round device with three batteries in the center surrounded by a fistfull of mechanical components and two sets of wires extending outwards (to the lights).

"Mr. Conner, could you step over to the side please..... thank you. Now we're going to have to search your bag. Yes - I understand this is a valuable item, but please do not try to touch the bag or make any sudden moves while we are searching it...." :ph34r:

Maybe there is some alternative we can work out....

• 2 months later...

Your flying saucer collection is the best I've ever seen! These are really beautiful space toys and maybe even nicer than robots. You're a lucky guy Fineas J. Whoopie!

Do you mind if I ask you where you got all those great glass cubes to build your display? I would love to get those same glass cubes. I would really appreciate the info. If you don't want to post it here, could you please email it to me? Thanks. rotate-o-matic AT hotmail DOT com Thanks again!

Your flying saucer collection is the best I've ever seen! These are really beautiful space toys and maybe even nicer than robots. You're a lucky guy Fineas J. Whoopie!

Do you mind if I ask you where you got all those great glass cubes to build your display? I would love to get those same glass cubes. I would really appreciate the info. If you don't want to post it here, could you please email it to me? Thanks. rotate-o-matic AT hotmail DOT com Thanks again!

Thanks Rotate-O-Matic, actually I bought those glass display shelves from a lady who was closing a boutique here locally. I got tho whole lot for $50 - no kidding. I will warn you however that although this style of shelf looks nice, those vertical pieces are very restrictive when it comes to configuring your display. When I was displaying robots on them I found that I had no choice but to go with one medium to large size robot and box per cube. You might try a retail supply house - good luck.

• 1 year later...

I finally cleaned up my saucer display so I figured that now would be a good time to post new pics to the "collections forum". We'll start with an overview of the glass display unit.

[attachmentid=11814]

The top shelf is mainly for stuff that really doesn't fit anywhere else.

[attachmentid=11826]

My favorite non saucer piece.

[attachmentid=11815]

Now on to the saucers, the X-3 is from the Lips auction.

[attachmentid=11816]

The Haji Flying Saucer 8 is a recent upgrade to this boxed example - Thanks to Jay at Robot Island.

[attachmentid=11817]

I had to wait a couple of years to find this boxed Martian (aka Red Man From Space) Saucer.

[attachmentid=11818]

The two non-walking examples of the TT Space Patrol were also from the Lips auction.

[attachmentid=11819]

The X-3000 (front left) was the top prize I was interested in at......you guessed it - the Lips auction!!

[attachmentid=11820]

The saucer on the left is Turkish - brand name Ne-Kur.

[attachmentid=11821]

I couldnt help noticing you had the big french XX-61 flying saucer. I just did post a new topic on that one under the flying saucer menu. As it is so rare, just out of curiosity, I was wandering where you found yours. Could it be comettoys (coz i made the mistake years ago to sold him one and took me years to find another one)

Spirou

spirou said:
I couldn't help noticing you had the big French XX-61 flying saucer. I just did post a new topic on that one under the flying saucer menu. As it is so rare, just out of curiosity, I was wandering where you found yours. Could it be comettoys (coz i made the mistake years ago to sold him one and took me years to find another one)

Spirou

Hi Spirou, nice to see you posting again. I got my XX-61 from ZZrobot. He had if for many years, in fact I have a video of an interview of him from the 90's that shows my XX-61 on his shelves. If I remember correctly it was once owned by Peter Reginato. Very rare piece and the box even more so. Have you gotten yours to operate? I haven't been able to figure out how to bypass the European battery box.

Fineas J. Whoopie said:
Hi Spirou, nice to see you posting again. I got my XX-61 from ZZrobot. He had if for many years, in fact I have a video of an interview of him from the 90's that shows my XX-61 on his shelves. If I remember correctly it was once owned by Peter Reginato. Very rare piece and the box even more so. Have you gotten yours to operate? I haven't been able to figure out how to bypass the European battery box.

Mine is operating fine (i put a picture of the box in the saucer section) and you should use following batteries http://www.campingsurvival.com/dumnal4flba.html . Do you have any idea of value of this saucer, with the box?

Spirou

Thanks for the battery link Spirou. The XX61 is a little hard to put a price on because it shows up so seldom. I'd guess around $600 to $1,000 for a mint in mint box example. Timing is everything when it comes to getting top dollar on a rare saucer though, sometimes there is a serious collector looking for one and sometimes there isn't.

I finally cleaned up my saucer display so I figured that now would be a good time to post new pics to the "collections forum". We'll start with an overview of the glass display unit.

[attachmentid=11814]

The top shelf is mainly for stuff that really doesn't fit anywhere else.

[attachmentid=11826]

My favorite non saucer piece.

[attachmentid=11815]

Now on to the saucers, the X-3 is from the Lips auction.

[attachmentid=11816]

The Haji Flying Saucer 8 is a recent upgrade to this boxed example - Thanks to Jay at Robot Island.

[attachmentid=11817]

I had to wait a couple of years to find this boxed Martian (aka Red Man From Space) Saucer.

[attachmentid=11818]

The two non-walking examples of the TT Space Patrol were also from the Lips auction.

[attachmentid=11819]

The X-3000 (front left) was the top prize I was interested in at......you guessed it - the Lips auction!!

[attachmentid=11820]

The saucer on the left is Turkish - brand name Ne-Kur.

[attachmentid=11821]

Hi Fineas, all the above comments and more! what a great display! I love the "X3" in pic 2 and the "Martian Flying Saucer" in pic 5 (especially the box art) I'd have to go into the room and have a look every morning before leaving for work...I bet you do too? :D

Ps here's one of my own that's rarely found in mint condition, and with the canopy still in place, hope you like it,

Noel.

post-648-1207894378.jpg

Noel ! That has to be one of the coolest tin toys I have ever seen !!! Dan Dare ??? WOW !!!! P.S. It needs a vertical stab ,,,otherwise it is going to have problems with Dutch rolls on approach !!!! ;) I like this toy !!!!!! FJW ,,,,your saucer collection is top notch !!! The Z-112 type saucers are something I have never seen . They are just great with the ribbing down the main fuselage.

Archived