TOYMEMORIES COLLECTION OF THE ODD

ToyMemories

Here's a nice original 1953 Marx design drawing (on vellum)... (I believe I posted a similar pic awhile back of an original blueprint, but this is hand-drawn)

Geez, it would be nice if you could get a real firearm like this...

post-526-1265516594.jpg6.512.spaceRifleLeft1953alpha.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thanks Joe, and not a bad price at all. I haven't had one yet, the only thing that I find weird is the lack of an obvious Marx trademark (maybe it's in the plastic on the underside)."

The tires on the car are marked Louis Marx, but the body is not.

"Here's a nice original 1953 Marx design drawing (on vellum)... (I believe I posted a similar pic awhile back of an original blueprint, but this is hand-drawn)

Geez, it would be nice if you could get a real firearm like this..."

This drawing looks like the small (12") rifle from the Marx alien target set.

post-224-1265559740.jpg

Hey ER&S,

Ok, the tires sound like standard Marx operating procedure (not all, but quite a few rubber and plastic are marked in some way with the name). I mention about being unmarked as the auction Joe pointed out seller says there are no markings. I never paid too much attention to the vehicle in question in the past, though it is cool. I would still think that there would be some Marx marking somewhere on the vehicle body or chassis (maybe on the body underside, obscured by the chassis). I likely have the design drawing for the body which would show the trademark logo location, but have no idea offhand where it would be... (it's a larger size, and harder to keep track of).

And I believe you're correct on the rifle being the one that came with the Rex Mars Target Game; good eye!

On that note, how about the original mold for that crazy "sinister spaceman stalking with large knife" target from the same toy... :ninja: and a mold sample of the evil dude (zap him quick!)

post-526-1265702548.jpgRexTargetKnife.jpg

• 3 months later...

From the archives... you have to love Mr. Machine (this particular design drawing from 1976), and then you have a favorite of mine-

a comic classic; walking on the moon with Captain Midnight! Dig those crazy moon creatures, and even better, the snappy space attire! :blink:

post-526-1274858718.jpg

post-526-1274858727.jpgAlphaMr.MachineHead1976.jpgAlphaCaptMidnightMoonwalking.jpg

• 10 months later...

Thanks, Bill, Andy, and Doc!

Actually, not super-fantastic, but still special in a way... the sample done last week, I believe it's the first time the mold was run since the 1950's, and it came out beautiful :) it was such a relief (sometimes you never know if everything will be ok, especially after such a long time).

Who knows if maybe sometime in the near future it will be produced in some quantity (I'm keeping my fingers crossed), but for now all I have is the one squeeky-clean blue guy, and he is pret-ty cool... ;)

(also, this is the mold I'm hoping to bring to a future BotStock one day! One of the few that doesn't need a forklift to move... yikes)

Cool robot! Your collection is amazing Toymemories!!

What is the function of this robot? It looks like it could be a string climber?

Mike,

He is cool looking in blue. I could use a couple of red arm pieces for one of my Robert the Robot tractors......from the origional molds!

Fineas, Thanks! (my wife disagrees though... something about a giant pile of junk, I think is what she said? :lol: ) He's just the little Robert from Ideal's Robot Bulldozer 🙂

Joe I tried calling you earlier, no luck. Yeah, blue is not bad, but I might try and swing something for red. You can't beat original molds! 😉

So, he ONLY came originally in red, no other color variations are out there?

:lol: Hahaha... well, Andy, I wish! If things were better, that would be a nice idea, but the cost (right now) would be kind of heavy for me. I'm still hoping to do something with the little guy, just haven't worked it out yet... :)

A pic of the silver sample of Ideal's Robert Robot Bulldozer robot I was able to get (which actually looks very cool in silver, like his "Dad", and also because you can see the parts still on the runner, and get an idea of the original mold configuration.) See earlier post for the "blue" version.

Then, a pic of another original Marx space alien target mold... (makes my heart skip a beat looking at it!)

And last, just a pic of some non-space coolness I love, hand-made carved/sculpted prototypes, samples, even a loose Marx color chip (I forget why that's in there...)

post-526-0-04023200-1302765641.jpgAlphaMiniRobertSilverRunner.jpgAlphaAlienTargetMoldx4.jpgAlphaMiscFigProtosCabinet.jpg

post-526-0-60582500-1302765652.jpg

post-526-0-53565800-1302765664.jpg

Archived