TOYMEMORIES COLLECTION OF THE ODD

ToyMemories

Those are awesome! I just started collecting some of the Gilmark and Marx space/future cars. I don't have those, though.

Where do you actually FIND this stuff?!?!?! Amazing.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Dr. A!

Thanks! I love '50's and '60's Marx plastic, there's just something about it... :blush:

The originals of these came out in the 1950's, but they were re-issued in the 1990's using original Marx molds (I think in 4 different colors...) I probably have some extras of the re-issues floating around somewhere if you'd like to use them as fillers until vintage ones turn up? There are 4 different future cars in the set.

As far as finding this stuff, after collecting it for so long I have people that know my crazy interests pop up all the time offering stuff or helping with leads to pieces or collections... I just wish I had more money to get it all! The cars here came from such an offer.

The next deal I'm working on for a while now is a small collection of original drawings used for some space toy patent applications... but that one requires a trade, which is difficult to do...

dratomic said:
Those are awesome! I just started collecting some of the Gilmark and Marx space/future cars. I don't have those, though.

Where do you actually FIND this stuff?!?!?! Amazing.

Can you tell me more about the 90s reissues? I had no idea, and I want to make sure I don't get burned on some ebay deal through my own lack of knowledge... I'm reasonably certain I've been okay so far (only two marx cars -- the silver and copper futuristic convertible) but still...

Is there a way to tell the new ones and old ones apart?

Hey Doc,

Well, the difference in quality is apparent with the re-issues having a little bit of flash and molding not perfect. They came out in 1993 or earlier. I have extras of the bronze and the gray re-issues (they also made green and blue which I don't think I have at all), so e-mail me direct with your mailing address and I'll send you a set which you can then use for comparison and reference and also as fillers until you get the complete vintage set!

dratomic said:
Can you tell me more about the 90s reissues? I had no idea, and I want to make sure I don't get burned on some ebay deal through my own lack of knowledge... I'm reasonably certain I've been okay so far (only two marx cars -- the silver and copper futuristic convertible) but still...

Is there a way to tell the new ones and old ones apart?

• 1 month later...

Here's a little feller I picked up a while back... He's small, but definitely cool!

(and I do have the rest of his parts too)

post-526-1177388836.jpegIdealRobotMold.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Here's an original injection mold from a classic toy I love... Ideal's Astro Base!

Getting this guy really made my day... definitely a nice piece of history you can reach out and touch...

Jeez, I love toys... 🙂

post-526-1181031951.jpgAstroBaseAstronautMOLD.jpg

Awesome. Like you say, a great piece of history.

Have you ever considered making wax (or whatever) paperweights or something from the molds you've got? Could be kind of cool -- "Space Car paperweight -- made from the original Marx molds!"

Anyway, a nice addition to your collection!

• 2 weeks later...
dratomic said:
Awesome. Like you say, a great piece of history.

Have you ever considered making wax (or whatever) paperweights or something from the molds you've got? Could be kind of cool -- "Space Car paperweight -- made from the original Marx molds!"

Anyway, a nice addition to your collection!

Thanks, Doc!

Yeah, I love this stuff... call me weird, but it's almost like being a modern day treasure-hunter!

Some of the molds are totally functional, and would just need to be placed in a new mold base to run them (can be expensive), and for others, I've thought of just what you mention, perhaps using pewter, or maybe resin or something else nice and solid... I also do have a small number of working molds that I plan to run sometime in the future when I have a little more free cash...

I should have some more pics posted soon (once I git the hang of this finnicky modern-type scannin' device here!)

Here's a little feller I picked up a while back... He's small, but definitely cool!

(and I do have the rest of his parts too)

Toymemories - Is it possible that mold is for the Robert the robot on a tractor?

Fineas J. Whoopie said:
Toymemories - Is it possible that mold is for the Robert the robot on a tractor?

Umm... well... Robert who? On a what? Geez, Fin, whoever heard of a robot on a tractor... some people will come up with anything... :rolleyes:

Alright, alright, you got me Mr. Whoopie! 😄 Yes, it was a very happy-happy day when I bought that old hunk-o-metal there, and it was a few days at least before I realized I wasn't dreaming! Problem is, well, you see... um, how do I put this... umm... ok, well I am the happy owner of the robot that goes ON the bulldozer mold, but it seems... the bulldozer mold evaded me... :blink: (at least this mold does make the whole robot himself, it appears!)

(you mean it's been THAT long since you've checked this page??) 😮

I was kind of hoping to eventually bring it myself for display at a future Botstock... I like it, it kind of grows on me 😉

And... of course it is a one-of-a-kind, very classic and important part of toy history (which is my thing!)

Toymemories - I had seen that mold a while back but for whatever reason I didn't get around to asking the question until now. Very cool item to have, are any of these molds marked by the manufacturer or do you have to just find the toy that goes with it to identify it?

Hey Fin,

Thanks! Yeah, as I mentioned, it really made my day when it turned up...

As far as molds being marked, if the mold is intact (where the mold cavities are attached to the original mold base), a lot of them (not all) will have some kind of markings that can be associated with the original company they came from, and their identification system, possibly even a name. As far as Marx is concerned, they're usually marked with a letter prefix and a number which can be then identified pretty well as to what the toy is, or what the part goes to with related mold lists and documentation (some Marx mold lists have been circulated among collectors for probably 20 years now).

The mold cavities themselves (like the picture here of the Mystery Spaceship alien cavity) are marked differently. They can have an internal identification number (not the same as the overall mold number itself), and they usually have markings for where the cavity was placed in the mold base (both halves will have corresponding marks) In the Mystery Spaceship figure case this is especially important as the mold made at least 3 of each figure. If some of the cavities were removed for use in a different mold, then the 2 correct halves of each cavity can be easily identified.

Lots of classic and well made toy molds have seperate cavities for each part that can be removed or replaced if necessary, as opposed to some of them where the cavities are actually part of a large "plate". Just because the cavities are in a plate doesn't make it a poor quality mold, it can just be more difficult to repair, and you can only block off sections; you can't remove cavities.

Beryllium Copper cavities tend to be best (little or no oxidation), and as you know steel tends to have rust issues if not properly maintained (common problem with unused molds 30-50+ years old!)

Hopefully I didn't put you to sleep there... LOL

Otherwise, if you come across loose mold cavities, it really helps to be familiar with the parts to be able to identify the mold... it can take years to identify some, and I'm sure there have to be some which may never be identified :blink:

(Once in a while you can come across individual cavities which have a company name or logo as a main feature of the part design, which is really very cool! I have those for Marx, Andy Gard, Transogram) Here's the Transogram cavity... I have no idea what it's from, likely a game marker. Made of steel, real nice detail, and small...

Fineas J. Whoopie said:
Toymemories - I had seen that mold a while back but for whatever reason I didn't get around to asking the question until now. Very cool item to have, are any of these molds marked by the manufacturer or do you have to just find the toy that goes with it to identify it?

transogrammold.jpgpost-526-1182833330.jpg

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply Toymemories, I've not had a lot of time to spend here on Alphadrome lately. No you didn't put me to sleep - this is very interesting and informative stuff! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge of these great old pieces of history, I for one enjoy them very much. Keep 'em coming. :)

• 3 months later...

Alrighty, here's a recent happy addition to the ToyMemories archive!

A pair of original 1977 Mego blueprints for that crazy robot (yes, he is a robot... 😛 ) 2XL... he is goofy, but some of us are kind of fond of him...

(sorry the pictures don't show all of him, but that's all that the scanner could get!)

Lots of cool new acquisitions these past few months, but not too many robot/space related.

(and you're very welcome, Fineas! Thank you for looking! Call me nutty, but I can't get enough of this stuff...)

post-526-1192861192.jpg2XLprints.jpg

Archived