TOYMEMORIES COLLECTION OF THE ODD

ToyMemories

dratomic said:

First, don't stop posting. While it might be unhealthy for me, I love seeing the pieces in your collection.

Alright, just for you Doc, I'll post one LAST picture that was sitting here... then I quit!

(Rayguns, rayguns, everywhere!)

post-526-1159765016.jpegBPraygunRifle.jpeg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Another gun I'm familiar with (but don't have). I always thought it looked a lot like a power tool... Available in grey or orange. Somewhat less common in good condition. Of COURSE you have the mold for it. ;)

Very cool!

dratomic said:

Another gun I'm familiar with (but don't have). I always thought it looked a lot like a power tool... Available in grey or orange. Somewhat less common in good condition. Of COURSE you have the mold for it. đŸ˜‰

Very cool!

Thanks, Doc!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't have the gun either (one day, I hope!)... đŸ˜‰

Yeah, it kind of does look like a power tool (maybe a heat gun?)

(Did you ever get that piece you mentioned that a friend picked up for you?)

Here's one I think you have, a 1953 Marx pistol, and a few others you may recognize:

(please forgive me if the pics aren't that clear as some of the drawings are somewhat large, usually 1:1 scale and so don't photograph that well. These artists did beautiful work... adding to my collection tends to keep me broke, but I love this stuff!)

post-526-1161189591.jpeg

post-526-1161331746.jpegBPmxRaygun.jpeg

1954spaceFlashRifle.jpeg

1952spaceCarTop.jpeg

1952frictionRocketTop.jpeg

1954shipBodyTop.jpeg

post-526-1161331775.jpeg

post-526-1161331796.jpeg

post-526-1161331827.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, THOSE I've got.... The first is the Space Patrol flashlight gun... also marketed as Tom Corbett and Rex Mars (which was Marx's attempt to create a marketable character). They appear on ebay a lot, but they're usually missing the little side switch.

The second set of blueprints are for the Captain Space Solar Scout rifle (see earlier reply).

So, Toymemories... Are those dates confirmed? Is the rifle definitely 1954? What about the other guns?

Keep the torture coming!

dratomic said:

Yep, THOSE I've got.... The first is the Space Patrol flashlight gun... also marketed as Tom Corbett and Rex Mars (which was Marx's attempt to create a marketable character). They appear on ebay a lot, but they're usually missing the little side switch.

The second set of blueprints are for the Captain Space Solar Scout rifle (see earlier reply).

So, Toymemories... Are those dates confirmed? Is the rifle definitely 1954? What about the other guns?

Keep the torture coming!

Hey Doc,

Yeah, Marx was pretty slick with developing their own brands, Rex Mars being one, as well as Johnny West (which had been used as a toy gun brand for around a decade prior to the JW action figure's appearance in 1965), Johnny Apollo, Fort Apache, etc. Testimony to Marx being the world's largest and greatest toymaker for a good number of years and being able to successfully support in-house properties.

The dates supplied are the actual dates on the technical drawings which in Marx's case seem to run pretty close to actual production regarding toys. If/when particular mold spec. sheets turn up I can post the dates which would then place production time pretty accurately to right after the mold arrival time. (Since these type of molds at that time cost a minimum of hundreds, but moreso thousands of dollars to make, it is very rare a mold would be made that was not used, or would not be used very soon after its' arrival, testing and approval.)

Will try and post the dates of other tech. drawings sometime in the future.

Also, existing time studies in the TM archive will definitively date items as they were done when the item was on the assembly line actually being produced. I had mentioned to Joe in e-mail that I have a section on the Marx Files site with dates of production from such records for various toys (including a handful of space-related), but no response.

For a number of years I've been working on various databases (still very far from being remotely near done!) to which I can then cross reference material from different sources and areas of background material and better help identifying, dating items, etc.... it does get quite intricate and definitely challenging, yet it's fun; almost like a giant puzzle missing lots of pieces. Just have to find some of those pieces to tie it all together a little better! Saddest thing is that so much material has been lost over the years from so many classic companies, and so many former employees have left us... toymakers have given us so much, yet they've gotten so little recognition and appreciation.

I do eat and sleep toys, haha.

Don't worry... there's more!

Hey, I had one of the Marx Captain Space rifles in first grade - That would have been 1958 - I must have blasted thousands of aliens with it! :D Long gone, of course -

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some head images from original 1976 Marx blueprints for the updated Rock Em Sock Em Robots version called... "Clash Of The Cosmic Robots".

I love the original version way better...

post-526-1163396988.jpegClashHeadPrints.jpeg

I've been following this thread for some time now and I've just noticed a large error........I forgot to post and say how much I've enjoyed these blueprints!!! Thanks for sharing Toymemories.

Fineas J. Whoopie said:

I've been following this thread for some time now and I've just noticed a large error........I forgot to post and say how much I've enjoyed these blueprints!!! Thanks for sharing Toymemories.

Hey Fin, you're very welcome, thank you!

I'm glad you like them! It's fun to share đŸ™‚ and I enjoy looking at yours (and everybody else's) collection pics as well. I just wish digital photos could catch more of the detail in a reasonable size (some of the prints are pretty large and the lines aren't very bold so I try and take close-ups or partials when possible)

Will keep trying to post pics as more are unearthed.

Thanks again for looking... and I look forward to more of your pics as well! (Lots of stuff there I only wish I had!)

Oh, and here's a pic of the BEST thing I have, and in perfect condition too! đŸ™‚

post-526-1163825939.jpegMAKphoto.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Alrighty, Happy New Year Alphadromers!

Here's an original part drawing I came across that's a perfect example of something not terribly exciting visually (most people would not even look at it twice), yet it is definitely important and a nice part of toy history. For me, I enjoy pretty much all toy technical drawings and every one does have its' place.

Looking at the picture, I'm sure most of you know what robot this was for? ;)

post-526-1167954526.jpeg

Here are some head images from original 1976 Marx blueprints for the updated Rock Em Sock Em Robots version called... "Clash Of The Cosmic Robots".

I love the original version way better...

Hello there,I had this version a couple of years ago,I think the robots were orange and white.I sold it on ebay for next to nothing ,about£10.00,I hope someone's not going to tell me they are rare! Sparkrobot. :unsure: :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Hey SparkRobot!

Sorry for the delay in a response! I've been definitely getting behind...

The later orange and white version of the classic Rock Em Sock Em Robots by Marx was called "Clash of the Cosmic Robots". While it should be somewhat harder to get than the regular version, for some reason (perhaps the updated version lost the classic version's charm) it doesn't seem to be too much in demand, so not to worry. đŸ˜‰

-----

Here's a pic of my newest acquisitions... not robot, but kind of space (ok, more sci-fi?); these are the original 1950's sculpted/carved prototypes for 2 of Marx's cars of the future! Each is almost 5" long, made mostly of solid carved plastic with some clay detail. These would be the prototype models that they made the molds from. Really cool looking vehicles that I was thrilled to have the opportunity to own...

Sparkrobot said:
I had this version a couple of years ago,I think the robots were orange and white.I sold it on ebay for next to nothing ,about£10.00,I hope someone's not going to tell me they are rare! Sparkrobot. :unsure: :unsure:

post-526-1172788137.jpegCarsFuture.jpeg

Archived