THE MORBIUS COLLECTION

Morbius

Wonderful friend of Laurie (wife of Morbius) dropped by yesterday with her hubby, with something to add to the Morbius Collection. Beautiful piece adds sparkle to the shelf, thank you Line!

post-298-0-74964300-1390758017_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morbius

• Ultrarobotman

• Roboto

• 6Stelab9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Xmas 2013 additions...orange version from Italy in Italian box. Wonderful plastic, didn't have enough respect for these when I had the blue one with 3 rockets around 1979ish.

post-298-3309.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Mark Bergin I was able to (re-) add this little guy to the collection. My original seems to have gone AWOL over the years, I'd gone through the garage, under the stairs and everywhere else possible and no luck.

Although he's somewhat a minor toy, there's just something about this one ... including the colours of the plastic I've always liked and the fragile nature of the styrene used, difficult to believe it was 1981 when I'd bought one new in the store. Very pleased to have him home again. I saw Joe K's at the museum last September and I began wondering where he'd gone... I had then described him to Joe and he marched me right over to his display and I knew then what I had to do. :biggrin:

post-298-0-73369300-1395542135_thumb.jpg

Congrats, Morbius!! That is always the BEST feeling when you replenish your lost supply of robots, especially those from the past that meant something to you.Hope the lost one shows up one day.

:cheers:

Great re-addition to the collection Mike, I've been looking for an example of that one too. Did you recently acquire it from Mark Bergin, his page hasn't been updated since 2010 (and I looked last week), that's when I purchased the Reliable spaceman pinwheels? If he's still selling stuff, perhaps I'll inquire about an item or two.

Thanks Tinman, I gave it a shot asking Mark and it came about, he happened to still have him. The robot doesn't function it just gives a spark inside the remote at the battery terminal and he 'clicks' when the button is pushed like a circuit opening/closing.

The one I had originally was $15 when purchased in 1981 at a Yorkville super-high-end toy store in the central part of Toronto where there was an entire shelf full of 'em. I believe he's just named Robot so he's not easy to search, if he had a proper name the search would be much easier. I'd like to have an army of these guys talking away as they march.

Congrats, Morbius!! That is always the BEST feeling when you replenish your lost supply of robots, especially those from the past that meant something to you.Hope the lost one shows up one day.

:cheers:

Thing is with this one, I replenished him as a collector/collectible rather than a toy used as a plaything long ago. Originally as he walked his mouth opens and closes and kinda quacks as he goes with arms swinging. Sounds a little like Pac-Man, maybe that was the idea around the same time-frame 1980ish.

• 1 month later...

Four fresh arrivals, always nice to see those packages in the mailbox. :biggrin: I'm basically restoring the collection somewhat, pre-1980 stuff with these that I'd given away when fairly new.

The Radar Hunter is packaged in a hanging bubble pack with French script and original price tags which is interesting, purchased this on e-bay from Quebec Canada.

Silver/Orange Super Silver Robot became detached from the card on the way here which is great...I can display it without guilt of opening a closed package. I've also got a minty one on the way.

Silver Space Robot is lots of fun and action. Some of these have screws in the chest and others don't, I've noticed both types in the Hong Kong boxes on e-bay. China re-issued these years later in original colours as well as black/chrome as far as I know.

The price reminds me of buying these '70s 'bots at a staggering $4. each when I was making $140 a week. :eeek: :wacko: :diggin:

Chrome/blue silver walking robot from Omaha Nebraska, I had intended to remove these others from their original packaging but they showed up in much stronger/better shape than was stated so the advice from *Altaira was "leave them alone". :wub: I don't think I'll seek the advice of the AFA for these. :rolling:

Kind of looks like I'm going backwards with the collecting (collection?) but sometimes I guess we need a new diversion. This is all stuff that doesn't break the bank and is still fun and I'm just about done with these replacement additions that for some reason I had to have back on the shelves. There are another dozen or so that I dispersed years ago I don't miss at all.

post-298-0-33400900-1400201078_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-94039200-1400201087_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-15901900-1400201127_thumb.jpg

Here's how it all started, this photo a couple years into it c1979 of one of my shelves.

Notice "BOX" from Logan's Run made from cardboard, foil and a micronaut.

post-298-0-01970800-1400382030_thumb.jpg

This guy I had in the '70s and aren't easy to find, this one from an antique dealer who specialized in antique plates.

post-298-0-18021100-1400272733_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

3 NOS guys back on the shelf. They've got a charm to 'em I hadn't noticed back in the '70s, the marbling in the silver plastic is always a wonderful effect.

The Super Space Commander Stormtrooper head fellow is fully functional and runs beautifully.

Galaxy added from Phil R. :biggrin:

post-298-0-16193600-1402342049_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-36829100-1402342150_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-82972600-1402342212_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-39705200-1402368141_thumb.jpg

Great to see all of these new additions to your collection. The 1979 photo is very cool to have from the original collection. I don't remember ever seeing a Gold warrior or a wind-up R-2 D-2. :scratchhead: Nice!

Thanks Ultrarobotman!! Fun to see them again, only the TV guy works. The others just whrrrrrrrr and go nowhere.

Well, here is the stormtrooper in another makeover...RED Varathane over the gold.

As for the R2D2, that's the rare smooth-walking TAKARA wind up. They were like $7 back in 1978, I only bought one, they were not available in the U.S. due to Kenner U.S. rights to merchandise, only available in Canada and Europe as I recall. Only ever saw them that one time in our catalogue store "Consumers Distributing" just like the U.S. Shop-Rite at the time. All the items sold had a garish sticker across the package or card in the case of carded figures.

Never liked those last of the Horikawa's in the old pic. IMHO, they lacked any kind of soul, I have no interest in retrieving those again. I sold them at Botstock a few years back to pay my hotel room. :biggrin: .

post-298-0-78668800-1402353871_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-78776400-1402354811_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-53029400-1402354820_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

New addition for another year older...from *Altaira (Kelly) and Laurie. Thank you. :wub: Another re-find, including french/english box as I'd had nearly 40 years ago.

post-298-0-01572100-1412625825_thumb.jpg