Space Whale

Phil R

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil, your work is fantastic, thanks for sharing.

I have a few questions...

What type of paint did you use ? Is it acrylic ?

Is this type of repair considered permanent ?

Is the repair noticable under black light ?

What would a repair like this cost ?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been offered a very

rare lithoed toy for a reasonable price, but it has similar

damage. I was wondering if it would be worth having it repaired ??? <_<

If the last question is too personal, please email me...

:) Phil R, let me add my hearty 'job well done'! Super nice. I can tell that you make your living doing restorations such as this, -totally professional. Lovely litho restore work! Thanks for showing us the steps along the way.

The only departure from your method that I might do is to seek out replacement small parts such as tires/wheels from another 'junker' toy whale. But then they are so rare, that one would have to wait a year to find another to scavenge parts from, and with the added cost and having the extra toy left over when the restoration is complete, that's sort of compounding the problem.

I don't keep my work table nearly as clean as you do! -L7

post-204-1151576410.jpg

Excellent work, Phil. Have you done this before? It seems you have a method down pretty good. Is it possible to get closer detail pics of the restored area?

Beautiful, just beautiful! Phil, is all of the lettering and tail logo hand painted with brush, or airbrushed? I am really amazed at the quality of your work. I would love to see more of your work on toys.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. This was an interesting project. After a lot of years at this I always learn something.

I used almost exclusively brush on this project. But because of the fine pigments of the airbrush colors I use for hand painting and the proper brush for each aspect of painting you can't see brushstrokes, especially after finish clear coats. I was kidding about the clean drawing board . I actually cleaned it before the photo. :)

Nice work, Phil!!!

You may want to consider moving this guy to a higher shelf, what with all the rain and flooding we've had these last few days.

Any chance you could bring this toy with you the next time you stop by? I'd love to see it in person.

Phil, that is incredible detail work !!

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it,

so thanks for sharing those pictures....Great Job !! :)

Next to the water and with those whisker antenae, the Whale looks more like a "Space Walking Catfish". IS that a robot looking out the back window?

You like risk don't you Phil??? What if fells to the water!! :D

Thanks for showing us the work...is an excellent lesson...

By the way, now that I see the detail of the litho of this toys I like it better...I'd never paid any attention to it thinking it was just a fish...but that litho is something.

Archived