Space Guns

dratomic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great display. I love the colors! Doc, I would aim the guns in the same direction. It would have a better flow and make fot better contrast of the different designs. (With your hand, block out the guns facing the opposite way in the pictures and you'll see my point.) Wonderful collection!

Great display. I love the colors! Doc, I would aim the guns in the same direction. It would have a better flow and make fot better contrast of the different designs. (With your hand, block out the guns facing the opposite way in the pictures and you'll see my point.) Wonderful collection!

Well since Sonny brought it up...I have to agree. The guns pointing in different directions can be confusing to the eye. They're fighting for attention.

Another thing to consider is using a different color for the background. Maybe a deep red, green or black fabric would give it a more museum quality look. (yeah, easier said than done I'm sure)

Just some suggestions mind you. You have a great collection there, Doc.

On second thought...never mind what I said before.

The guns CAN be pointing in different directions...just avoid having them point out of the box or display at odd angles. Guns around the perimeter should point inwards to keep the eye from going out of the box. Compliment one gun's point with a counter point from another gun. This should create a little more harmony in your display and make it easier on the eyes.

I think I've shown you my phaser cabinet before. Note how the directions of the guns keep the eye within the display. All right, I'll shut up now. ;)

post-2-1137081301.jpg

Yeah... I experimented with putting the guns in the same direction, as well as in a sort of random arrangement -- I didn't like either. I found that, when pointing in the same direction, they looked too uniform, too over-thought, kinda boring. It can work, I guess, but I just wasn't feeling it. And the random display, with this many pieces, just became something of a mess.

There were also major logistical considerations -- certain guns needed to display facing certain directions, as the detailing on the left and right sides of the pieces differed. For instance, the Rex Mars Flashlight gun has a switch on one side. In certain cases, this also had to do with condition -- the Buck Rogers Liquid Helium gun has less wear on the side facing out.

As for colored backgrounds... The guns have so much color of their own, I didn't want them fighting with anything. A red background, for instance, would absorb at least five of the toys. Didn't seem worth it. Besides, I like the starkness of the white.

Not that this is perfect -- there are still issues with dead space, and some of the positioning is a bit awkward. But of all the configurations I played with, this seemed to come closest to working. Everything else just made me tense... And since I'm staring at it for a good portion of the day -- it's visible from where I do a lot of my work -- I figured tense was a baaaaad idea. ;)

I hope I didn't sound to overbearing with my suggestions. Being a video editor and an artist, I work with composition a lot. I need to learn to edit myself sometimes. ;)

In the end, it's your display and what makes you happy. You have a great armory and it looks very nice as is!

(I'm going back to shutting up now...I promise!)

No no, I don't mind hearing comments and suggestions, Andy (or Sonny). I file them away for future display considerations. But I figured I might as well explain the thinking behind why I did what I did.

There was some thought in terms of arrangement and composition (color placement, shape, size, etc). Also, in most cases, the left and right sides of each case are mirror images, with only the center guns throwing things off. So to take the left case, for a second, I've got all the "outer" guns in paired directions (like the two pyros, for instance). I think that's why it doesn't feel jumbled to me -- there's an internal logic, to some extent.

In the end, I'm just glad they're not in a big brown cardboard box anymore! :)

Great display Doc.

How about some name plates beneath each gun and put them behind some glass . It always looks more classy. :D

Great display Doc.

How about some name plates beneath each gun and put them behind some glass . It always looks more classy. :D

Not a good idea funk, these babies need to be locked and loaded and ready for bear at a moments notice! Especially with Robothunter's Robbys on the loose! ;)

Ha, Robert -- Exactly!

You know, I thought about using some glass... Sometimes I like the way it looks, sometimes I don't. For instance, I love Robothunter's glass shelves, and I think that the Ikea cases I and many of us use are pretty slick. I also like shadow box displays of guns, like Andy's Star Trek phaser collection -- I think that looks great. Photos of the Goodwin Collection on Robothut's site also show off a ray gun collection displayed in such a manner -- again, to good effect.

However, sometimes I like the "toy on shelf" look -- you know, complete access to the object, no physical barriers between it and the viewer (again, a method many of us use for displaying robots and space toys). I feel like we erect psychological barriers between ourselves and the toys whenever we turn them into museum pieces -- which happens every time we put them on some sort of (figurative) pedestal. Now, I don't mind this, but I do sometimes want to mitigate the effect by avoiding physical barriers, too. Um. If that makes any sense...

Now, name plates... I do kind of like that idea. Or something along those lines, like perhaps one plate on the side that shows a line drawing of the display, with numbers for each gun and then a key at the bottom. Though that would take all the fun out of lecturing my friends whenever they make the mistake of coming over to visit! :)

Which gives me a thought -- Grandpa (if you're reading this) and Robert, if I were to send you guys a jpg of such a plate, could you transfer it to plastic or something using your laser cutter? Or maybe to metal that's been pre-painted, a la the Alps Mr. Robot "post card" that Robert brought to the last Botstock?

Thanks for the idea, Funkrobotik!

I think the "Men in Black" idea would cover all of your points, Doc. Plus it would be hilarious if not impractical.

Did I talk again? I'm sorry...I'll shut up again. ;)

I WISH I could do the Men in Black thing... But how do I convince my landlord to let me punch a hole in the wall so I can have a revolving book case?

Figure that one out for me and we're in business!

Not a good idea funk, these babies need to be locked and loaded and ready for bear at a moments notice! Especially with Robothunter's Robbys on the loose! ;)

Danger!! Danger!! Danger Brian Stillman! I detect a hord of hostile robots approching! Danger! :(

I WISH I could do the Men in Black thing... But how do I convince my landlord to let me punch a hole in the wall so I can have a revolving book case?

Figure that one out for me and we're in business!

Don't punch a hole in the wall......build out the wall instead. Put up a new wall allowing space deep enough to cover the displays and arrange for the "fake boookcase" front to open. Lots of different wayt o approach it. A drop-down (or lift-up) style ala Murphy Bed. Or sliders like pocket-doors. Lot of actuaters can be motorized as well. Forget MIB. Go for the whole Matt Helm 1960's retro super spy thing! Remember those movies with the concelled walls of weapons inside his Hugh Heffner style apartment? Yeah, baby! ;)

Archived