"famous Robots" Owned By Us

Rotate-O-Matic

ha yep Steve it was me me!

I sat through all the auction with my credit card in my sweating hand waiting to make the one and only bid I thought I could afford. he came up and went in about 10 seconds!

I even "souvenired" the auction paddle as a reminder of the day...

Rt

post-2-1125181481.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking of Chief Robotman ............and Seeing Brian's Avatar I have to say....

Brian, I could be mistaken, but the last time I visited you did you have a CRM with plastic Mighty Robot arms?

If you do could you post a picture of him, I'd love to see it, I've never seen another like it.

Brian,

as the big dog and ruler of this board I mean no disrespect and certainly do not mean to put you on the spot, but I have always been curious about your collection. Just what DO you have??

Would it be possible to coerce you into showing off your collection? I am sure it would blow me away and leave me curled up in the corner of my robot room in the foetal position...(as have most of you collectors across the pond!) Henk, Christian, Dirk, Volker, Gernot, Swissplanet, could I be referring to you all? NAAWWW!! ;)

Hi Ya'll... long time listener, first time.. no wait...

OK, going purely back to Rotate-o-Matic's question, many of my robots (including my Hook robot), rockets, ray guns, helmets, rocket cigarette lighters, 1930s glass Saturn lamps, and even my 1960 Bowden Spacelander bicycle can be seen in the book "Blast Off!" (By Young, Dean, and Richardson). (My rocket collection has increased considerably since then!)

Rocket -[O_O]-

post-2-1125221314.jpg

Guest Brian.

Believe me, Robert, my collection wouldn't begin to compare with the big guys on this board! I have very shallow pockets (in England we call it a wife) but I started early in the 1980s. Like most of us, I'm one of those obsessive types and began attending toy shows - buying anything tin, but turning my nose up at all the "crappy" plastic like Mr Lem, Zero of Space, Magnor and the like - Oh how I regret it now!.

I bought my first robots from Toni then I became a dealer just so I could get in the shows nice and early. I used to believe that all the bargains were snapped up in the first hour - and discovered that it's true. I traded robots for many years, but stopped about four years ago when work became more demanding.

I'll get the camera out and post some of the interesting bits. In particular I've come to like the quaint space toy stuff that you see in Blast Off! I have a big box in which I've stored hard plastic spaceships, spacemen, cutouts, games and the like.

Russell, I didn't realise that the CRM with plastic arms is unusual. I can guarantee it's genuine because I bought it from its original owner. I'll post details.

Russell, I didn't realise that the CRM with plastic arms is unusual. I can guarantee it's genuine because I bought it from its original owner. I'll post details.

ha ha, I did not doubt you Sir,

No need to justify it's existance either I think the chances of somebody having a mint CRM minus tin arms AND then finding a spare set of Mighty Robot arms and putting the 2 together! ... fairly remote.

I just think your CRM was made at the same time Mighty Robot was going into production, they may have even stopped making the tin arms by that point.

Having said that though the only example I've ever seen ...is yours. :)

RT

Heheh, good idea RT!

Welcome back Rocket, long time no hear! But is that all you got to show? Those measily dime store rockets? C'mon Man, I know you can do better than that! In fact, I think you should get rid of those little throwaways and start a real collection. Tell you what, I'm feeling generous....why don't I just take those little babies off your hands? (I think I got ten grand lying around here somewhere.... ):P

Oh, and being relative new to the game AND relatively poor I am sad to say that I have absolutely nothing that has appeared anywhere other than my shelves..

Well I know my pug robby belonged to a Virginia governor when he was little (the seller told me the story and I have the email with the guy's name somewhere!)...

Well I know my pug robby belonged to a Virginia governor when he was little (the seller told me the story and I have the email with the guy's name somewhere!)...

Anyone know of any other public figures who collect robots like politicians or celebrities? I think I've read that actors Tim Robbins and Nicolaus Cage are both robot colectors. Anybody else know of any? I guess they must get their toys through private dealers since I doubt they can sneak about at toy shows unknown or spend hours on ebay like us small fry have to.

Thanks for all the great responses to my thread! :P

I know Nicholas Cage was a BIG comic book collector, with first issues of Detective Comics and Batman. (As well as, I'm sure, many other important titles.) I've heard he sold them all, though. Rumor also has it that David Copperfield has a collection of Ray Guns, but I don't know if A -- that's even true, and B -- whether he counts as a "celebrity." ;)

George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg also have large collections of science fiction memorabilia, though I don't know the specifics. Generally, I know they include original pulp art, some vintage toys, old movie props, original posters,and stuff like that. (I remember seeing an article on Lucas in some architecture magazine, and in the background of one photo was a Robby Space Patrol.)

I think I've read that actors Tim Robbins and Nicolaus Cage are both robot colectors.

Well I've run into Tim Robbins myself at Toy Tokyo but I don't know if was there buying robots or all that Japanese character stuff.

And back a few years ago when FAO Schwarz was selling life-sized Robby Robots by Fred Barton I had gone to the main store to actually see a Barton Robby up close so I could compare it to my John Rigg Robby. The salesperson delighted in telling me that they had sold one to Nick Gage. Don't know if that was true or not and he might be a fan of movie props and not stricktly robots.

I mean, somebody must be buying all those life-sized Superman and Spiderman statues they sell at Sharper Image, right? :blink:

I would love to ask Fred, but I know he's big on client privacy and I respect that. But I do know a lot of rock-stars have bought from him. Again, I think it's more about big stuff and not just robots.

Oh, yeah. There was also the guy from the TV show LA Law. Corbin Bernson. He used to come into NYC a few times a year (this was about 11 years ago when I first started) and would snatch up robots at my favorite shop for way too much money. Pissed me off because the dealer used to brag that if I didn't buy it, Corbin would. That dealer went out of business a few years ago.

I guess Corbin stopped coming around......

Bought a few of Boogaerts collection, so I must be owning robots seen on pages 1,11,15,27,28,33 >>38,39,42,57,58,59,75,(76 77 78),85,133,134,144,157, 159,172,174,208,266,270 & there might be some others.

Funny to mention the ME091 Robby tank of Chinese manufacture also called SFTF 47. I know I got mine from Pierre & always tought the color of the picture was too yellow & didn't do justice to the toy, as I wondered why he didn't put the antenna on it for the picture. Now, if unlike it was mentionned in the book, the one pictured was from Fahri & not from Pierre Boogaerts, that would explain it.Near the middle of the white line on the right, just near the rivet, there seems to be a rusty spot on the tank from the picture which is exempt from my toy, is it there on yours; Pat ?

Then , that would mean they did put the wrong credits in the book & that yours did belong to Fahri .

Too bad the publisher doesn't give NO PRIZE like does Marvel !!!

Funny to mention the ME091 Robby tank of Chinese manufacture also called SFTF 47. I know I got mine from Pierre & always tought the color of the picture was too yellow & didn't do justice to the toy, as I wondered why he didn't put the antenna on it for the picture. Now, if unlike it was mentionned in the book, the one pictured was from Fahri & not from Pierre Boogaerts, that would explain it.Near the middle of the white line on the right, just near the rivet, there seems to be a rusty spot on the tank from the picture which is exempt from my toy, is it there on yours; Pat ?

Then , that would mean they did put the wrong credits in the book & that yours did belong to Fahri .

Too bad the publisher doesn't give NO PRIZE like does Marvel !!!

I've always felt that the color in the photos on almost all the robots in that book are off. Especially on this one in particular.

I did have that spot but it was actually dried oil that came right ff with a little rubbing. If you also look you'll notice that all over the lower purple half of the tank are little highlights all over (not the rivots) the front and sides. These are actually touch-ups with a slightly lighter purple, almost lavendar, paint. I have the same paint spots in the same place. And they're on every corner. It appears that the litho didn't survie the pressing/stamping of the tin parts very well. But not surprising as I've always beleived these red/purple examples were salesman's samples and not full production. Aside from you and I, I think Gernot & Henk have the only others I know of.

Am I right about that?

Archived