Top Posters In This Topic

• roboz

• Brian..

• Andyman

• K-9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, roboz said:

PS Am I the only one who thinks the back should be the front?

Oz, the fins are bigger in the 'back'. Great looking ride though whether coming or going!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 6:22 PM, Phil R said:

Brian is correct. Even though an item looks beautiful restored the biggest mistake is a high gloss finish instead of satin or semi gloss. It make a huge visual difference.

I've had a lot of experience restoring antique advertising and toys. I blend the necessary colors where there is repaired damage to match the original that is ok.  Most clients want to match the original finish which over time is a more satin patina. 

Where there is basically a complete redo try to document the color it should be before starting restoration. To make it look aged go with a slightly darker shade.  For a clear finish use satin instead of gloss. Or even a flat clear coat if desired. It's what you want not what someone tells you that you should have.

I posted this earlier in the thread but it's a nice glimpse into the gloss of the paint as originally intended  There are many like videos on British Pathe

My guess is the lead paint oxidized over the years & lost much of it's luster however the original intent seems clear. Thoughts ? 

That's wonderful footage.

I guess you're thinking that back in 1955 the intention was to achieve a perfect glossy finish. And that validates a Las Vegas restoration. 

Unfortunately you throw away 60 years of age and almost destroy the original. Honest, irreplacable and precious patina, all gone with a quick application of sandpaper, half a tub of bondo and and five coats of urethane. The result is something that any little factory anywhere could turn out for a few grand this week or next week. 

2 hours ago, Brian.. said:

That's wonderful footage.

I guess you're thinking that back in 1955 the intention was to achieve a perfect glossy finish. And that validates a Las Vegas restoration. 

Unfortunately you throw away 60 years of age and almost destroy the original. Honest, irreplacable and precious patina, all gone with a quick application of sandpaper, half a tub of bondo and and five coats of urethane. The result is something that any little factory anywhere could turn out for a few grand this week or next week. 

Those are very valid points As a preservationist at heart I'm all for salvaging as much originality as possible as you will see in my next post. Unfortunately some of these machines have already been stripped & repainted multiple times &/or damaged beyond repair. There are strategies to 'restore' with a vintage patina although that's just as inauthentic as an over restoration albeit somewhat more pleasing to the purists 

Brian before I post the next space related machine 

wondering if you can ask your arcade contacts any history of this machine

Just picked it up at Morphy's & there is a dearth of information on it  

Here is the description

"This is an exceptionally rare Magic Hand, marked "A. H. Soffle, Antwerp". It is in original condition with all original castings and parts to the machine and some newer wiring. The early hand-painted Hand would spin and stop on a numbered cup. If the number matched with the number the customer picked with the dial, the customer would win the contents of the cup. A great early example of an ultra rare arcade game ready for restoration. This is not a standard shippable item and will require 3rd party shipping or pickup arrangements to be made. Condition: (Good - Very Good). Dimensions: 46 - 1/2" x 33" x 33".

Magic hand arcade 1.jpg

magic hand arcade 2.jpg

magic hand arcade 3.jpg

magic hand arcade 5.jpg

I think there is a different point of view between american and european regarding restoration. When I watch TV shows like  Pawn stars, the way they restore items or cars or motorcycles can be awfull. It's just throw away the charm of age to result in an razzle-dazzle  article that could have been produce yesterday.

Oz I spent much of my childhood in the 1950s arcades in Blackpool - the Mecca of British amusement machines. The Magic Hand is spectacular. I'll ask some of the guys, they're old showmen who have run vintage arcades all their lives.

Don't let those restorers anywhere near it! It just needs dusting!!!!!!!!! 😃

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

Oz I spent much of my childhood in the 1950s arcades in Blackpool - the Mecca of British amusement machines. The Magic Hand is spectacular. I'll ask some of the guys, they're old showmen who have run vintage arcades all their lives.

Don't let those restorers anywhere near it! It just needs dusting!!!!!!!!! 😃

Lol OK Well here's the latest acquisition

This will have a mechanical only restoration

aesthetically just polish up the bright work

& preserve the original finish 

Described as follows

"In the world of early kiddie rides, the Bally Moon Ride has to be the holly grail. Manufactured in 1954, This machine gave the kids a ride like no bucking bronco could. Strap into the internal seat, deposit a coin, lights flash, the sounds of rockets, and the internal seat spins the child in almost "weightless" fashion. This ride is fresh to market, and one of three known , is unrestored with a great original look, comes with a coin box and is complete and ready for restoration. An amazing kiddie ride, almost impossible to find today, and in remarkable original condition. - Keys: Yes This is not a standard shippable item and will require 3rd party shipping or pickup arrangements to be made. Condition: (Good - Very Good). Dimensions: 64" x 64" x 40".

Ride the moon 1.jpg

Ride the moon 2.jpg

ride the moon 3.jpg

ride the moon 4.jpg

ride the moon 5.jpg

ride the moon 6.jpg

Love the last ride.   I assume it does not spin completely ???

I have neither the space, money or ability to restore one of these machines but would love one.

The only space ride in my collection is this.

40335.jpeg.253f85bcf84481b9564796b3182f6fec.jpeg

I am probably in the minority but I really like the fully restored machines.  I can appreciate the vintage look and patina on an old item but always think it would look so much better

restored.

Saying that.....   I would never strip down a vintage robot and give it a new respray and replace bulbs with LEDs etc but I always look for the best example I can find or afford, proving we all really want vintage but looking as good and shinny as possible.

17 hours ago, Brian.. said:

OMG, a tumble drier for the little brats. Superb. 

That was my first thought. How many of us already have a version of this ride in our laundry room?

• 2 weeks later...