Vintage Amusement Rides

Brian..

You still miss the point Andy. The skill of hitting the balls would be over if the the ball then could not be reset in a new random position so you could skillfully paly again. Run Rabbit Run.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roboz

• Brian..

• Andyman

• K-9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh crap, Andy. I have been cooped up in this house for how many months, I thought I found some one to come out and play with me.  Remember the old days  when Henk would stir it up on the Drome, then just sit back and watch the dust fly.  Now that was a game. On this one we will have to wait and see.

Ok Kids Back to work! So the first 2 rockets in this video are mine

I hope brian chimes in on this too 

The first one will get it's major overhaul & tricked out with a few goodies

The 2nd I'd like to keep as original as possible but trying to find a way to do things

like add new upholstery without it looking out of place , Maybe age or fade it a bit?

Suggestions on the paint & keeping it preserved as well as protecting all those cool graphics?

LMK what you think 

Couldn't agree more. Original is best.

The fourth of these rockets illustrates exactly the problem. It's the one that's undergone partial restoration. The finish looks more like a showroom Mercedes than a seventy year old rocket ride. The high gloss just isn't a sympathetic look.

Just my two cents.

I second Tinluver 2 and Brain: keep them original with all their defaults and age. That definitively  give them  personnality. Don't make them look like repros!

Brian is correct. Even though an item looks beautiful restored the biggest mistake is a high gloss finish instead of satin or semi gloss. It make a huge visual difference.

I've had a lot of experience restoring antique advertising and toys. I blend the necessary colors where there is repaired damage to match the original that is ok.  Most clients want to match the original finish which over time is a more satin patina. 

Where there is basically a complete redo try to document the color it should be before starting restoration. To make it look aged go with a slightly darker shade.  For a clear finish use satin instead of gloss. Or even a flat clear coat if desired. It's what you want not what someone tells you that you should have.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 6:22 PM, Phil R said:

Brian is correct. Even though an item looks beautiful restored the biggest mistake is a high gloss finish instead of satin or semi gloss. It make a huge visual difference.

I've had a lot of experience restoring antique advertising and toys. I blend the necessary colors where there is repaired damage to match the original that is ok.  Most clients want to match the original finish which over time is a more satin patina. 

Where there is basically a complete redo try to document the color it should be before starting restoration. To make it look aged go with a slightly darker shade.  For a clear finish use satin instead of gloss. Or even a flat clear coat if desired. It's what you want not what someone tells you that you should have.

I asked the restorer, Mike, about this & he mentioned when he's removed Metal Trim Pieces sometimes the paint underneath was Gloss, sometimes Semi, sometimes High Gloss. It's a very interesting conversation to say the least 

7 hours ago, Brian.. said:

That's a special piece, Oz.  It's just awash with character. 

It is very cool , but I was wrong there is a 3rd here , my guess at least a half dozen floating around 

PS Am I the only one who thinks the back should be the front? 🤔