Vintage Amusement Rides

Brian..

47 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

There wasn't much you could save on the original and there's no denying the skill behind the rebuild. It looks as though it came out of the factory yesterday. 

Some of Mikes clients have the painter give the items a faux antique patina , looks very convinvcing 

I feel that's no different that the new finish 

The machines that I can save as originals I do 

the ones that are too far gone , I go with the showroom finish 

eventually they will age as well & develope their own patina 

It's a tricky balancing act for sure 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roboz

• Brian..

• Andyman

• K-9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 'before' photo really puts things into perspective, the level of craftsmanship and skill that went into your Super Jet rocket restoration is outstanding! 

• 3 months later...

I recently acquired The Rocket. As you see in the photos below, it's in need of a clean-up.

From a 1953 supplement to the Mike Munves Corp. catalog, it shows the body being "Ply-A-Mold" but I can't find what Ply-A-Mold is so I'm not sure how to clean the mold and grime off the body. It's definitely not metal.

In the third photo is a photo from the spaceagemuseum dot com site showing a Rocket in slightly better paint condition. What I'd like to do is clean up mine and touch the paint up to a little bit better condition than the one in the museum photo. I don't want to completely repaint it like brand new. Just a touch-up, retaining some vintage scruff. I do not have the rest of the ride and don't plan on trying to find pieces to restore it. I'm thinking more of a garden/yard art piece. Would anyone have recommendations on what to use to clean it without destroying any of the remaining paint? Also paint recommendations.

Rocket collage.JPG

XO7 Rocket ad.JPG

The Rocket.jpg

Great pick up. I can't give any recommandations but i like how the one of the museum looks like. it has a lot of character.

28 minutes ago, 6Stelab9 said:

Great pick up. I can't give any recommandations but i like how the one of the museum looks like. it has a lot of character.

Thanks! It was a FreeCycle find that I jumped on the second I saw it. I'm hoping to get it to look more like the museum piece, just enhancing the graphics a bit after cleaning it up. It's going to be yard/garden art I think. 

Autopede Space Cycle Dated appx 1955-1960 

Love it or List it ? I couldn't see myself losing that 

beautiful original sparkle paint 

19 hours ago, roboz said:

If it's wood & you leave it outside it will just decay completely 

It's fiberglass. I got in touch with a guy thru Facebook who had one of the 8 original prototypes with photos of his restoration and some news articles on it. I'm going to seal it before I put it outside to help protect it.

• 4 months later...
On 1/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, roboz said:

Here's the finished result I took the liberty to have custom font on the base the originl had a vinyl sticker similar to what's on the rocket body 

Though I had that hand painted to match the decal but looks much nicer 

Remark away !! 

That is stunning, but tell me, what makes the compressed air sound ?