Vintage Amusement Rides

Brian..

4 hours ago, robert said:

So Ozzie, when i visit your museum should I bring nickels, dimes, or quarters?

Probably lot of $$$ XD 

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

Oz, this is an absolutely gorgeous full restoration! I'm really looking forward to the seeing how the restorers handle the original paint and graphics results on the second one...

The original one is tough because the (lead) paint is so fragile it flakes off Actually the unrestored rocket shown in that video is the one I hope to keep original 

6 hours ago, Andyman said:

Hah! Great video for a great restoration, Oz!

Thanks Andy 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roboz

• Brian..

• Andyman

• K-9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wanted to share this other Bally Rocket that was "preserved"

My first Bally had been repainted multiple times So there 

we bought back to a like new Orginal

This one retains all it's original patina 

On 12/17/2019 at 7:21 PM, roboz said:

Thanks Brian Happy that you added this thread 😎

Fying Saucers.jpg

Magic robot 2.jpg

Mutoscope flying saucers.jpg

SAUCER.jpg

I love these older electro mechanical arcade machines, I notice young children are far more stimulated by the shapes and colours , than computer games

On 9/30/2020 at 5:18 PM, Action Robot said:

Hey Oz,

That is definitely not Ella Fitzgerald. I got obsessed with trying to figure out who it was, and after wasting at least an hour searching the web, came up with nothing. Is the title of the film included in the reel?

it sounds like Bessie Smith, an amazing machine for its time, I wonder if its possible to copy the film in case it wears or breaks ?

On 8/31/2020 at 10:13 PM, roboz said:

OK So I also have 2 of these 'project' Bally Rockets

Now Brian will be happy to know that the other one that I will post about a bit later

will only do a mechanical restoration & leave it essentially original since it is complete but weathered

BR1.jpg

BR2.jpg

BR3.jpg

BR4.jpg

BR5.jpg

BR6.jpg

BR7.jpg

BR8.jpg

BR9.jpg

BR10.jpg

it is interesting that the hull is made of steamed marine ply, rather than beaten metal, probably easier to manufacture in a small workshop and effect repairs, and paint , I was planning to make a large rocket for a charity event ( Covid Killed that) and oddly had decided on the same method of construction, with ply rings and steamed outer sheets, built in 5 sections for ease of handling, perhaps another year !, thanks for posting these images

On 10/9/2020 at 3:21 PM, Brian.. said:

Couldn't agree more. Original is best.

The fourth of these rockets illustrates exactly the problem. It's the one that's undergone partial restoration. The finish looks more like a showroom Mercedes than a seventy year old rocket ride. The high gloss just isn't a sympathetic look.

Just my two cents.

refinish it the same as the origionals, using a brush and coach paint, that gives a nice thick deep lustre without looking too car like, spraying shows up any defects in the structure, whereas a good coach paint blends it in, I did a couple of old cars from a fairground when I worked for a big building firm, we had a joinery shop, so we dismantled them to dry them out ( water damage) clamped and bonded them back together ( if when sanding the ply is all hairy, give it a coat of varnish first)  we then measured them and made two more identical ones to fit the ride, even brazing the metal work the same way

I got the job of painting them all, as the high pressure paint shop attracted too many visitors , i used a red oxide type primer, sold for sailing boats, then a grey high build undercoat, rubbing down with 2,000 grit and soapy water, finally given them 2 coats of Berger coachpaint, thinned 10 percent and placed the paint pot in a tub of warm water, used a mini roller for speed, then flatted it with a good quality brush

leave to dry for 3 weeks and a light polish

I wish I have taken some photos, but it was a private job, and we had a nosey staff member with a big mouth ! I painted them inside a shipping container that he did not have access to

• 1 month later...

Oz, the rocket and space theme graphics are great on this piece. It doesn't show much in the way of wear for a late 1950s game, is this an older or maybe more recent restoration?

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Oz, the rocket and space theme graphics are great on this piece. It doesn't show much in the way of wear for a late 1950s game, is this an older or maybe more recent restoration?

Yes this had a light resto refreshing recently completed 

It was a very nice original machine 

• 6 months later...

So before I post the video I'll post the before shot 

this rocket was pretty much junked , Had been repainted numerous times 

in different colors too So there wasn't much to salvage 

Hence decided to go for the over the top resto 

For these that will bemoan the loss of the patina 

chicago coin before.jpg

Here's the finished result I took the liberty to have custom font on the base the originl had a vinyl sticker similar to what's on the rocket body 

Though I had that hand painted to match the decal but looks much nicer 

Remark away !! 

There wasn't much you could save on the original and there's no denying the skill behind the rebuild. It looks as though it came out of the factory yesterday.