Steel Humanoid & Martian Robot Arrive

Ranger

Fortunately I can clarify. These turned up in quantity on an outdoor stall at Newark Antiques Fair. Friends told me about them but dismissed them as Hong Kong junk. I don't think I've run as fast in my life. My brother and I managed to buy a large number of them for £5 each and we sold most of them to a well known toy dealer who has since become infamous for Star Wars jiggery-pokery. He will remain nameless. 

Tony (oops) has been trickling them onto the market ever since.

Those were the days. We were scuttling around the stall grabbing them like pensioners at a buffet. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ranger

• Sparkrobot

• RoboDerby

• Brian..

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Brian.. said:

Those were the days. We were scuttling around the stall grabbing them like pensioners at a buffet. 

Now we are virtually pensioners at a buffet! 😂 

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

Brian, remember the wall of boxed Dux Astromen?  

I obviously live in the wrong country. Arguably, robot availability may not be the only reason considering present circumstances. But, let us not get into that here. 😜

3 hours ago, Brian.. said:

We were scuttling around the stall grabbing them like pensioners at a buffet.  

didn't you take a picture of your buffet?

Brian I bought a few robots from your nameless Tony oops

After the star Wars scandal I used to feel a bit uneasy with a few of my purchases from him especially an expensive so called original Yoshiya KO Space Trooper with remote, thinking that he had possibly made it up from non original parts.

You couldn't blame me when he was found to have shamelessly  forged the mint in packaging Star Wars character's.

Long since sold for less than my purchase price because of uncertainty of it originality.😢

66a.jpg

Sadly I sold the robots for far less than the market price.

To be fair to Tony, he was always straight in his dealings with me. I would bet good money that your robot was kosher.

When Tony found that vast stash of Star Wars cards and figures he just couldn't resist the temptation to put them together. The guy who exposed him was in the running to buy them. I wonder what the rest of us would have done if we'd bought them? 

Incidentally the source of the cards was Arthur Bailey, a seminal figure in English robot and space toy collecting. He once told me he'd stopped collecting when he found a wall of hundreds of robots looking at him. I discovered that Arthur died recently.

Brian after the Star Wars con I  hoped the robots I had bought from Tony were 'right'

I wasnt completely green around the gils but the Space Trooper was a big buy for me at the time and with so many Chinese repros about I feared to what extent someone would go to say adapt one of those as a true Yoshiya KO Japan version.

I also bought a Laser robot from him that lets say felt completely right.

All water under the bridge now.

Tony did seem a good guy at the time. I used to buy direct from him at his home in Brighton.

Is Tony still about dealing or was his name tainted so bad he quit dealing ?

Im guessing you wasnt saying Tony had died.

images.jpg

Toni's very much alive and trading on eBay. He doesn't attend toy shows now. I think he may be worried about the reception he'll get, even after all this time. Those Star Wars guys are fanatics. 

3 minutes ago, tinluver2 said:

Much credit and thanks! for Future Toys 👍 Several dealing with Toni over the years. All fine experiences.

i actually agree, nice guy.

I only bought Robots and the odd loose Star Wars figure. it was the repacking the Star Wars toys that was his downfall.

Would we be singing his praises if we had bought sealed on pack Star Wars figures from him ?