3D Resin Printer Diary

Brian..

The clear resin I've seen is slightly cloudy, and tends to acquire a yellowish tinge. I think that there is a much better product out there and I'm very interested. 

The moment I find a true clear resin then it's all hands to the pump to make Robert from Fireball XL5. And I think I can make him walk. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robothut

• Brian..

• RoboDerby

• ROBODUDE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great project, unfortunately my attempts with totally clear resin didn't produce the hoped results. I tried making helmets repro for toy soldiers, but you know, even if you calibrate at maximum, you still see the lines of slices which render the resin not so transparent. Good but not the top. 'think one needs a laser based printer to avoid this effect. Anyway there are some tricks to improve the job, like dripping pieces in liquid crystal resin, the air-drying type. This diminishes the opacity.

Nearly ready to print. I removed the valves and left holes there for electric wiring. This is all new to me. It has to be angled to prevent suction pulling it off the print plate. The piece hangs from the plate so it's supported from above. You're looking at this upside down. Very odd. 

Capture.JPG

should come out fine, this way supports don't interfere with details and points of contact can be easily removed

The only time I have used resin printing was back in 1991. I worked for a music company and had designed a electronic music delivery system that had some mechanical levers and a front part that were going to be injection molded plastic. So first we took the CAD files to a stereo lithography shop to have them laser printed , to make sure everything was right before having the hard metal tooling done for the injection molds. It was quite expensive back then, but so much cheaper than the hard tooling costs should something need adjusting. At todays prices for a resin printer it would be a fun tool to have and useful for detailed parts to add to projects.
resin"

Well, John, I'll soon know if it's going to be of any value. It just arrived and took 5 minutes to set up. It's slowly printing now. I should have done a test print but I just threw the new piece at it. I'm too impatient. 

One interesting feature is the fact that the machine works as fast for, say, ten of these panels as for one. It pays to fill up the bed with as much as possible. It is, however, limited to small parts but that's fine for starters. 

Don’t know what all the fuss is re manmos. I have one and a kit form version. 

Stop all that booing! I can almost feel the hate! 😂 

Brian will master this new printer and printing in resin in no time, I am sure of that. 👍

I find it’s handy knowing the right people! 😉

As curator of the Brian Hayes museum (permanently closed to the public,😃 ) then naturally I have to have them all for testing etc before production starts. Makes sense eh. 

😐

0CBD7A1C-F9DC-4E74-B48F-0B4A535B3585.jpeg

D090EB2A-F677-427B-9D92-C54088F1BE86.jpeg

B2EC943F-357A-4C55-89B5-A1FCC412A6FD.jpeg

Well, I'm impressed with the first results. You're advised to hollow out models to save on resin costs, but I got carried away and left the box walls just 1mm wide. This led to a slight distortion of the part, but the detail is stunning. In fact the camera doesn't capture the texture on the little speaker grill on the side or the dial on that meter in the center.

I'll give this a lick of paint.

This is a perfect printer for small replacement parts. I've tried printing replacement antennas and the like but the print lines are offputting. 

IMG_4476.jpg