Sparking: To Spark Or Not To Spark...

dratomic

I think some one was adding detail to the robby ears like the beams on Robby the Robots ears. but the safty notice and bear metal feet bottoms sound like the toy is still being produced to this day.

• 7 months later...

I heard on the net someone found hundreds of the planet robot robbys in a warehouse in the late 90's their all marked safety toy and were made in the early to mid seventies.

The ST or safe toy designation was adopted October 1971.(So much for all these ebay adds designating the toy as 60's vintage with the ST clearly on the box).

I wish I could say for certain-but in the back of my head(which lately is working better than the front)I have seen this "riveted" version before-with the same questions still abounding as to their origin.

Don't say that, Steve. Repeat after me: "I never saw it before. It's NOT some rare and valuable variation. Returning it to the seller was a perfect move, Dr. Atomic."

;)

Your dead right Steve! It must have been about 6 months ago. Photos were sent in and discussions about their authenticity took place on these pages.

It would be nice to be able to sort this one out as its sort of put me off buying one. The strange thing is, you never see any nasty rusty ones turning up which you might expect, they cant all have been kept in perfect conditions and boxed.

I also think it's very possible that these robots are still being made today or else there has been an unearthing of a huge warehouse find someplace that would account for all the MIB examples that turn up. However, I agree with John that I think somebody simply tried to "detail" their robot by adding these metal "eyes" to the sides of the head. We've talked about how manufacturers taked features away over time and go to less costly parts (plastic instead of metal, plain bare-metal bottoms on the feet instead of painted or finished metal, etc.) and all the variations of Planet Robot is a perfect example of this. It doesn't seem likely that an new part would have been added, or a another step in the manufacturing/production line process, added in this last run of a robot that cleary was stripped of features and costly parts over time.

There was indeed a large quantity found several years ago. There was a dealer selling them in Atlantic City in quantities of 12 to 24 and I think he was asking around $75 each if you bought 24, but I'm not sure how many were found, but it was a lot. A finding of this quantity would make it seem like they are still being produced, but this is highly unlikely, unless the original molds were found and someone paid the factory to make a few hundred. Anyone know?

Guest neatstuff

I will try to shed some light on the warehouse find of these bots. I believe it was around 1997 or 98, I was contacted by a man in San Fran Cal. who claimed to be the one who originally found many cases of these bots in an old apartment building basement. He offered the whole lot of 240+ of them to me at a good price. I didn't want them all but I did purchase 24 of them. They all had "Safety Toy" printed on the boxes.

When I received them, I found two of them that had rust on the back sides of their foot/feet. One had the rust burned all the way through it's tin foot, as though it had been exposed to moister for an extended period of time. The box had a rust stain that penetrated all the way through the cardboard box bottom, the rust spot on the box had rotted all the way through the cardboard. This damage appeared to me to be natural looking. I suppose someone could have intentionally did this damage to make them look old, who knows? However, I believe if these are a recent production then we would be seeing them all over the place with prices falling dramatically on them. Unless of course who ever would be making them is very sly and is only releasing a few at a time, this is doubtful but possible.

None of the ones that I purchased had the little rivet looking things on the head like the one pictured above.

In conclusion I would have to say that these are vintage, just how old they are is anyone's guess. Perhaps they are from the early 1970s or so if the statement above is correct "The ST or safe toy designation was adopted October 1971"

• Brian.. changed the title to Sparking: To Spark Or Not To Spark...

Archived