Daiya Ranger - the delivery man was here!

Martian Gil

I know that the sanctity of keeping him all original is no more... sigh.   :diablo:

but, as is my way, I'd prefer to have this old robot functioning as his makers intended.     :cheers:     Here's to those incredible toy makers!

As Mark pointed out, the screw holes are a fairly weak point in this robot.    No exception with this guy.

His holes had broken long ago and I wanted to make his temporary fix a bit more solid.

I prepped him just by cleaning, then I cut a couple pieces of stout acrylic to run along the inside of the lip where the screw holes were. 
After pre-drilling and shaping them a bit, I carefully glued them in place.     

That was the rough patch for me - worrying if anything would go sideways.    After applying that glue, your options are severely limited, lol.

Well, I was lucky & all worked nicely - the acrylic backing that I glued in place should have the added benefit of slowing or stopping any future spidering / cracking at those weaker points.   

As well, since I cut them to fit only as far as his tin backing covers his sides - the added pieces are pretty discreet.

After the snowstorm, I'll search for a better looking screw - who doesn't love winter in mid-April!

The last thing I did to give him a more confident stride was to place a little neoprene grommet over each end of his leg shaft - then I pressed a slightly undersized washer on.   That cleaned up a little extra sway.

Cheers, all!

20180414_155641.jpg

DSC05607.JPG

DSC05620.JPG

20180415_145659.jpg

DSC05605.JPG

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martian Gil

• Ranger

• ROBODUDE

• Mick_B

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, ROBODUDE said:

AWESOME !!!!!!!  Thanks for the video also Kirk ___P.S.-How does that smoker work? I have always wondered about that!

Hi Rich! 

I've taken apart and repaired the smoke chamber in my Smoking Spaceman - and I'm playing with smokers from a few other Marusan toys.

This smoker came to me working great, so I didn't closely examine.

So, these observations are with regards to what I've seen in the others- I'd assume this is similar, but if someone else wants to chime in, feel free :)

There is a very fine wire (30g maybe?) inside the smoke chamber - there is typically a contact that powers it up the wire intermittently.   When it does power up, it overheats, and heats the oil in the cotton or fiber packed into the chamber.   

On this Ranger, you can see a lever swat at the bellows in his head - that causes the heated oil smoke to puff out.   The bellows "pusher" is connected to the cam that moves his arms.

Interestingly enough - each non-smoking smoker toy that I've looked at has had an old piece of wood broken off in it.   :)

As if kids couldn't figure out how to get a dry smoker working, so they poke it with a stick!     Don't you just love it?  lol

That is a very neat little repair!

I think it is all you can expect from 60 year old plastic.

It is amazing that any of these robot's have survived through the hands of robust children.

I think sometimes we forget that these were toys that were bought to be played with.

Another nice part of the your Rangers history in years to come! :cheers:

And documented on Alpha!

Another incredible repair and awesome robot!! Thanks for sharing your videos and knowledge Kirk. The plastic on this guy is in great shape!!! All the ones I have seen are covered with spidering of the clear parts!!! Congratulations!!! (I am jealous!!)

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 1:55 PM, Tinman said:

1965 advert:

Pensacola_News_Journal_Fri__Nov_26__1965_.jpg

Sweet!

mmm...  to be able to order a few through time...