Repro MTH Mr. Atomic

dratomic

When you close, just remember which way his body is suppose to go! ;)

This public service announcement was brought to you by the doofus with a Proton Man who can't find his toes.

It looks like you've earned your certification Dr. Atomic, DRS (Doctor of Robotic Surgery). Congratulations!

Perhaps you could edit this post and add it to the TIPS & TRICKS section. Those are some nice "dissection" photos.

Glad to here that my suggestion about the battery box top tab helped, sorry that I was not able to offer more help on the phone when you called. But hay you have it working again and for your first robot repair that is all you can ask for! Glad you were able to post pictures of the guts. I know we all like to see robot guts! Never had to open my MTH or Osaka Mr. Atomics , reminds me of the song "I'm turning Japanese" (I asked the doctor to take a picture so I can look at you from inside as well)

Good job Dr. but it does look like you could have repaired it with out taking so much apart from your repair discription, the suggestion of useing the continuity reading might have saved you some work, one test lead on the copper disk and one to the metal crank or frame. This is the same way a Mr. robot works with the lit spinning mechanical brain, only Mr robot is more work to get to the inside of the brain to repair. But now your ready for the challenge.

I realize I could have done a continuity check and maybe gotten a better idea of what was going on. The thing is, a) I didn't know how the circuit would be completed for the rotating light. I wasn't positive, from my initial vantage point, just how things were supposed to flow, if you know what I mean. It wasn't until I removed it that I could see where wires were terminating. And B) even if I did know where to do the continuity check, the light still wouldn't have lit since the problem, I think, stemmed from things being too loose and slightly gummed up with grease. I wouldn't have realized this until the whole part was removed. I'm sure more experience would have perhaps indicated the solution, but having never seen a mechanism quite like this before, I wasn't really positive where the problem would lie. So I think, no matter what, I'd have had to remove the light assembly. If only to clarify things for myself.

On the other hand, now that I know what's going on with the toy, any similar probems can probably be fixed without so much surgery. I know what's lurking in those upper reaches of the dome, now.

This has definitely been an interesting learning experience.

You're not a real collector until you've had a great old robot laid out all over the kitchen table in a hundred peices with a couple pliers, screwdrivers, and soldering iron close at hand.

And the sweat pouring down your face as you hope you can get the damm thing back together. And then the day comes when you can repair certain models of robots with your eyes closed because you've pulled so many apart. LOL!!!

But as Dirty Harry always said...'A man's gotta know his limitations!"

There is no shame in passing on certain repairs and calling in the pro's. We can't all be like John Rigg!

• Brian.. changed the title to Repro MTH Mr. Atomic

Archived