Sparkling Mike - Toughest repair ever?

Martian Gil

Taking apart and putting together a Directional Robot was "one" of my  repairs. Got him to work properly. Repaired a few Robo-Tanks. Got one to speak again.......in Japanese.

20 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Well, to my credit I have only repaired two robots; a walking Robocon, and a Blink-A-Gear, but the one covered in this old post, tells the whole story...

Nice!  a beauty for sure.  That's a robot on my list.

So, no more repairs in your future?   With your outer restoration / clean-up skills, I'd think it'd be the perfect match for adding some robots on the nice side of the budget ;) 

20 hours ago, kennetzel said:

I too have only repaired two robots...one was actually a rebuild. I did my old Attacking Martian a while ago, replaced the wires. However I couldn't figure out how to wire up the lights in the guns. So now they stay on all the time, which isn't bad, they look cool through the green lenses.

The rebuild was a Remco Lost in Space robot. Very easy to repair, the mechanism is very simple. But to make my all blue one I had to disconnect all the wiring, remove the battery contacts and remove the treads from the legs. Once the tread section is rebuilt and the wiring is reattached, all you have to do is feed the light through the legs and screw the contacts in place once the torso is ready to put on. But the hardest of the two was definitely the Attacking Martian.

RemcoAttackingMartian.jpg

Very cool, Ken - I'd tend to agree that all of the mixed actions make the Horikawa's tough to work on.   Kudos!

3 hours ago, festival said:

Taking apart and putting together a Directional Robot was "one" of my  repairs. Got him to work properly. Repaired a few Robo-Tanks. Got one to speak again.......in Japanese.

Hi Festival - I wonder if your experience with your Directional was like mine...  I was very intimidated by opening him up, by it actually went quite well.  Making the decision was the hardest part.    Though, I only needed to work on the other side of the battery case & switch - I didn't get into the motor at all.    Still, very satisfying to see him fully working again.

Getting the Robotank to speak his native tongue is fantastic!  Was it a ZR-1?

20170224_173928.jpg

14 hours ago, ROBODUDE said:

Congrats on the repair Kirk---He looks awesome !!:thumbs:

Thanks Rich!   I know you've done some nice work getting some old robots kicking again too.   You have to have an adventure to share :thumbs:

Hi  I am on 4th repair robot so far,

2 smoking spaceman robots and now they are working properly,

3rd one was that little gear Horikawa but i did not repair the spring motor, maybe later i do that, and now i have another little gear Horikawa with a problem in his foot and leg but i will going to fix it, so the worst part for me is to fix the main spring motor, this is a complicated job... 

cheers

18 minutes ago, Jonydroid said:

Hi  I am on 4th repair robot so far,

2 smoking spaceman robots and now they are working properly,

3rd one was that little gear Horikawa but i did not repair the spring motor, maybe later i do that, and now i have another little gear Horikawa with a problem in his foot and leg but i will going to fix it, so the worst part for me is to fix the main spring motor, this is a complicated job... 

cheers

Hey Joao!  You've made some robots very happy!  

and, you are right - that spring repair is a tough job.    You have a great looking gear robot as it is now - and if you change your mind, he'll still be there for you!   cheers!

3 minutes ago, Martian Gil said:

Hey Joao!  You've made some robots very happy!  

and, you are right - that spring repair is a tough job.    You have a great looking gear robot as it is now - and if you change your mind, he'll still be there for you!   cheers!

:thumbs:thanks my friend yes well i am always learning and this spring motor it will be a big challenge for me to fix but i think i can do the job. i just have to gain courage 

cheers

Today i went to the post office to receive the Horikawa gear robot that I bought a few weeks ago, just as I arrived my house opened a box and wanted to observe it, I came across with 2 issues, one of the feet was loose and was only attached by a shaft of metal and the leg also out of place, so to correct that I've been all afternoon to get these 2 problems solved, fixing the foot again was a tremendous pain and hard to get inside, since the space between the outside plastic leg part and the metal part of inside that makes the robot walk, the foot was not easy and I stayed about 3 hours to do this work, on the other hand the leg was much easier because it just left the place 
because of the loose foot, finally I got 
everything fixed

IMG_20170328_124916.jpg

IMG_20170328_162519.jpg

IMG_20170328_193352.jpg

IMG_20170328_195646.JPG

IMG_20170328_195959.JPG

Hi MG !!  I have a few repair stories--probably my favorite was my Cragstan rotor robot as it had 3 different things going on--the motor was seized up, I had to rewire part of it and the rubber band that drove the eyes was dry rotted---All 3 problems turned out to be relatively easy fixes though and now it is fully functional !!  Probably my favorite robot in my collection----Great discussion topic !!!! 

• Brian.. changed the title to Sparkling Mike - Toughest repair ever?

Archived