U-TOM the Robot... Amazing !.. Its from Another Planet..

marco

well - actually I brought this one up a few years ago - found it in one of the Mandarake shops in Tokyo - and passed it on to Xris maybe 2-3 years ago.

It is a plastic model kit made then probably in 2005 in Japan from one of the many small companies making remodelled Kayju - plastic character figures - I had never seen another one so it might have been probably produced in very limited numbers - a garage kit  model.

This one draw my attention because of the box art resembling the Wheel a gear and Lantern robots. -actually I showed this picture here on Alphadrome years ago and it was discussed.

Now I guess Marco you used the original plastic parts - scanned them and formed them in 3D with additional mechanics.

You did a great job here, before the box was just great but the simple plastik kit was not, now both are looking great in that combination.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha Gernot,... now.. why am I not surprised :) 
Such rare and beautiful things mostly trackd back to you, very cool

still... the mystery is not solved... The parts I found inside the box were already a copy of the originals.
body, legs arms and some small pieces.
not really a model kit anymore, just an attempt to capture the shapes of the robot.
I still have no idea how this robot must have looked like and perhaps the original one was not even a model kit..
anyway...

I made scans of the parts and they turned out really nice.
The "bitch" on this one is the hours of hand painting to add all the details.
Making one in dark blue and one in grey so hours of hand painting lie in front of me ;-) 

thanks for the info Gernot,

See ya soon !

Marco

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Brian.. said:

Does he move, Marco?

FUDs first law of robotics sates that if you push something hard enough it will fall over ! "movement" Fire Sign Theater, were all bozos on this bus.

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 0:38 PM, gernot said:

well - actually I brought this one up a few years ago - found it in one of the Mandarake shops in Tokyo - and passed it on to Xris maybe 2-3 years ago.

It is a plastic model kit made then probably in 2005 in Japan from one of the many small companies making remodelled Kayju - plastic character figures - I had never seen another one so it might have been probably produced in very limited numbers - a garage kit  model.

This one draw my attention because of the box art resembling the Wheel a gear and Lantern robots. -actually I showed this picture here on Alphadrome years ago and it was discussed.

Now I guess Marco you used the original plastic parts - scanned them and formed them in 3D with additional mechanics.

You did a great job here, before the box was just great but the simple plastik kit was not, now both are looking great in that combination.

Yes, actually almost ten years ago. Time really goes fast now.

Yes, allow me to rephrase.

Marco, does he walk? And if so, is that a pin foot teeter-totter, a friction wheel roll or a manly stride from the hips? My waking hours are preoccupied with robot motion.

3 hours ago, Tinplate6 said:

Marco, would you be so kind as to remind us what your website address is? Thanks.

Brady.. My website adres is: http://vintagespacetoys.com

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

Yes, allow me to rephrase.

Marco, does he walk? And if so, is that a pin foot teeter-totter, a friction wheel roll or a manly stride from the hips? My waking hours are preoccupied with robot motion.

Ok Brian, as John explained already.. yes he can move.... Walking...... I will explain.
Yes its possible to get this robot going with pin walking. 
The parts are difficult to print hollow without infill. It leaves gaps here and there because of the lack of the infill.
The body prints fine with 20% infill but... you can not build anything inside.

To make this perfect takes to much time i dont have and want to spent at this moment so I will for everybody who is interested, make a static DIY kit.
The kit will contain the parts printed and the paint you need to make it exactly as i did. 
The artwork from the box will be a laserprinted copy so you can make a box by yourself.  The parts need to be cleaned from the support ( only the main body has support by the way. )   The legs, feet and arms etc are clean.

You need to glue it all together than, do the painting, complete the box and you will have your own, U-TOM Robot... Amazing... from another planet...
With a bit of patience and about 6-8 hours work you can have than exactly the same robot as I made and pictured.

The DIY Static Kit from U-TOM the Amazing Robot   will cost 149 USD + `Shipping. 

So... if anybody is interested in making his own U-TOM the Robot  than let me know.
The parts will come in Blue, as shown in the Pictures.
If you want to make yours in another color... not a problem, let me know your choice of color you want the 3D parts be printed 

The Kit contains:

- Plain box.
- Lasercopy of the artwork to make an exact box as shown in the pictures.
- 3D printed parts of the U-TOM Robot, Body, Legs, Arms, Gun, Antennas, Sidepanels etc.
- Paint: Gold, Red, Green and Black.
- Decals

what do you need yourself ? 
- Razersharp Knife.
- Glue.
- Pensil ( Fine )
- Patience.
- 6-8 hours time.

CHeers

Marco

Yo Marco, contrary to what u think, this indeed is a production model kit from resin; never was made different. As a distributor of toys in the 80's & 90's, I can tell there was several sorts of model kits. 1-The plastic ones like Revell, Airfix & Aurora, many parts , including exceeedingly small ones , all to be teared from a rectanguloid squeletton, with glue paint & stickers, 2-the vynil kits, made in lesser qties, not many parts, some joigning arms or head to torso had to be made under hot water, or pre heating the parts to make them malleable before assembly; Good trick that allowed pausability, as legs, arms & head could rotate.

3- the foam or injection model kits, like the Comet Miniature's Robby; a nightmare to cut , build, glue...................aaaaargggll produced in even lesser qties

4-the resin garage model kits( like U-Tom), anecdotic qties produced by geeks like us, who, in my opinion, did use a yonezawa model to cast body & legs , with the ressources of their time era, but I believe it IS the original, but was probably slipped at some shops in Japan in around 2005.

1967 copyright belongs to Ultraman show where U-Tom appeared, 2005 is date of production of the builders of this garage kit.

I, for one, will be happy to take one, mobile, immobile, green, pink or made in wood, don't care , the look is smashing & with a metallic paint finish, it will be a ball to put it near Roby & Conehead & that other Astronaut made from the same body by Yonezawa.

A pity nobody else here wants to order it, too bad, it's really an interesting.........................oooo wait, a new post about the hidden screw in the headrobot's shaped toiletpaper distributor , & does it need a normal or a cross screwdriver, now that's really................ooops, now where was I........oooowow .....a cloud in the sky who has the exact shape of the head of the Mego Man, that so strange............................& U-Tom kit ? What about it.....orders..................naaaaahh, it's a kit, it only moves when thrown at your head;  but it has to be build first, a five pieces puzzle...............aaaaarrrgglll too much work

• 1 month later...

Building 2 more of these in different colours is easier said than done... Jeez :)
With some other projects in between the U-Toms were standing at my workbench waiting for some paint, more paint, another layer and some more... 
drying and again adding paint with a steady hand..
In fact, when you take the time for it, its not even difficult to do. just beeing patient and let the layers dry properly in between will do the job to finish this U-Tom Robot.

I made the robot available in 3 colours: Light and dark blue and grey.
My personal favorite is the one in GREY by the way... the grey metallic comes out really well and the combination with the colours is really cool.

The robot will only be available as a DIY Kit. this means that you have to clean the 3D printed parts with a sharp knife, glue it together and start painting. The DIY kit comes complete with everything you need to make the robot and the box.
The Kit contains:

- Plain box, bottom and top
- Laser copy of the artwork to make an exact box as shown in the pictures.
- 3D printed parts of the U-TOM Robot, Body, Legs, Arms, Gun, Antennas, Side panels etc.
- Paint: Gold, Red, Green and Black.
- Decals

what do you need yourself ? 
- Razersharp Knife.( I added one as an example of the sort of knife you need for this project )
- HotGlue.
- Patience.
- 6-8 hours time.
- A free spot on your shelves to add the U-TOM Robot :)

You can choose the color you want. I made 3 examples (light and dark blue and grey ) but if you want an other colour, up to you, let me know.
The robot will come with a certificate and is limited to 10 pieces for each colour.
Price is 149 USD + Shipping.

Here are some pictures of the U-TOM DIY Kit and the samples I made in 3 colours. 

Marco

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

Archived