3D Printed Radar Master Robot.. Self Balancing ! :-)

marco

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Klaus,

Working now to complete the manual... Its much more work than expected... so many different functions on the robot that ALL have to be explained so that not only I but also somebody else can operate the robot...
Hopefully ready this week... cant wait to ship the first ones

Marco

In the meantime..... The prototype Radar Master Robot got stuck in an exhibition of art...an exhibition I talked about earlier this year where my 3D printed Robots found a place.
The exhibition runs from 30th of November till 31th of January 2017.

Now... for Holland, its kinda strange to see a robot in exhibition... in fact its a miracle if you can find a robot anywhere over here :-) hahahah
to see MORE robots in an exhibition is special and when they are also 3D printed.. it all of a sudden is getting attention... 
looks like everybody wants to get into 3D printing, drawing, scanning or whatever.. very funny to see this happen in real life ! :)

Its cool to see that the little little littlle giant christmas ornaments are doing great and sell like crazy at the exhibition so a nice introduction overhere in Holland with robots and 3D printing... 

Brings me back to the final steps of completing the user manual for Radar Master Robot... almost ready guys....heheheh its in fact more work than I expected...

Keep you posted
Here is a quick picture of the 3D artwork exhibition !

Marco

IMG_4474.JPG

A nice lineup of your major 3D-printed developments and products!

Think they could not shed enough light on this sight! 😜 

Also the place of this exhibit might be interesting. Is it the event in Belgium, that you have mentioned before? Looking forward for more details.

This one is in the Netherlands Klaus,  Next year there will be one in Belgium as well.

Its very cool to see the people`s reactions and comments... very much to learn here again. 
Oh and Serial #1 of 25 Radar Master is on its way to you Klaus...
Let me know when it arrives there...
Sure you will some fun installing the batteries ! hhahahahahaha
looking forward to hear your comments, experience and things like that

On 12/1/2016 at 3:02 PM, Tinplate6 said:

Very nice, MARCO, if this keeps up, you may need to start your own toy company.  :biggrin:

Man THAT would be great ! heheheheh

CHeers

Marco

Hi Marco, serial #1 self balancing Radar Master has arrived here this afternoon!

image.jpeg

With VST Emil, his "brother" by 3D-print origin.

image.jpeg

#1 of 25 as imprinted on the back, next to the adapters for the display support. The original sticky tape already removed from the inserts. (I hate sticky tape. Had too much of it sticking where it never should get to).

Phantastic job again! A switch to up-to-date technology in terms of features presented with this toy, built on advanced production technique. And how did you manage this miniature painting on the front panel? Looks like the Japanese already honoured you with one of their wonder brushes. But the robot is bigger than I have expected! Quite a lot to be balanced. I'm very curious to try the stack balancing mode. Or let him run on a ripply floor. Ha, placing the batteries will be the first challenge. 

Thank you very much, Marco!

On 12/12/2016 at 7:05 PM, Lunik said:

Hi Marco, serial #1 self balancing Radar Master has arrived here this afternoon!

image.jpeg

With VST Emil, his "brother" by 3D-print origin.

image.jpeg

#1 of 25 as imprinted on the back, next to the adapters for the display support. The original sticky tape already removed from the inserts. (I hate sticky tape. Had too much of it sticking where it never should get to).

Phantastic job again! A switch to up-to-date technology in terms of features presented with this toy, built on advanced production technique. And how did you manage this miniature painting on the front panel? Looks like the Japanese already honoured you with one of their wonder brushes. But the robot is bigger than I have expected! Quite a lot to be balanced. I'm very curious to try the stack balancing mode. Or let him run on a ripply floor. Ha, placing the batteries will be the first challenge. 

Thank you very much, Marco!

You are welcome Klaus.... wondering if you were able to install the batteries and get it going :-) !

Marco

Thanks Ozzie!

Ozzie and Marco, both your great creations are waiting for a first performance in my house. Too many other things to take care for. And I really want to enjoy the sight of the first runs. Hope to get it done before Xmas. But else wouldn't be bad as part of the festivities.

Well, finally a quick one: Owner's first report - not in depth.

Already noticed, the operator should make himself familiar with Radar Master's specific sensitivity. I will surely have more hours of training during the Holidays. And also fun for the family watching! - I did not yet check the app controled modes.

I have started very thoroughly inserting the batteries. Marco did not promise too much. This is a challenge. Makes me feel like leaving the batteries inserted at the end of the day.

Then held the Radar Master in my hands, switched him on ... and everything very easy: Turned a wheel, watched the light changing, that indicates the operational modes. Also the Master made some sound and I think he said which mode he entered! Otherwise calm, no moves. Put him down on the floor. This is an amazing moment. Hold him upright, somehow balanced, for about one second, then his wheels take grip and he gets control. Let him go ...

... for a moment he rolls to and fro, holding himself standing balanced. His center of gravity is not located somewhere below his horizontal axle! It lies clearly well above. Keeping his own balance is actually a delicate dynamical process. And then he starts doing his job. Wait for the operator's commands (should be trained), start roaming and avoiding obstacles, perform some dance moves, try to stand still to get some lightweight objects loaded for a challenging balance act, etc. Overall 7 modes of operation plus bluetooth control via app.

The mechanics:

Marco developed the robot's body, the mechanics, light transfer and all to adopt the prefab computer. As Marco already described, the specific structure in this body with the additional task of moving the robot's arms required very tight control of levers and wheels, minimum tolerances and easily moving mechanics. Radar Master runs like hell! I've tested him on diverse surfaces: flat, ok as expected, funnily swinging on gently rolling ground and even let him run from flat into rippely structured aluminium sheet: dipped a littlle bit being dragged down to lower speed, and on he went!

The operator's interfaces:

Sound and "radar." (Bluetooth app control not yet checked) I have checked both. The features based on object detection give him some autonomy or can be used as the operator's interface for gestures. My tests have mainly been around these "radar" based features. What a lucky coincidence, Marco found this toy computer and re-edited his robot concept, based on a 1950s RC box of the "Radar Master" boat. (See top of this thread for that part of the story.)

The amazing balancing capability thrown into a "real Radar" box is giving me a kick about this fancy robot creation.

Great job, Marco!

Photos - quick mobile live shots, no arrangements, dim December illumination.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Autonomously roaming and avoiding obstacles.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hold stacked objects and keep balance. This one just slipped away, sorry.

Slightly edited the text 9 hours past first publishing.

(How can I reduce the pics' size and get two in a row?)

Hey Klaus, thanks my friend.

To see the very first reviews from an early bird is cool and useful as well !

thanks for the update on the user manual !
You really have to try out the app for this Radar Master Robot Klaus !  take control over the robot and drive him through your house using your iphone ( or whatever smart phone you are using :)

First Radar Masters left the building now. I took some time to try out some color variations. Not as final products but just for my own shelves :)
Radar Master Original will ONLY stay available in the basic colors, yellow, white, orange... is it was meant to be ;)

Looking forward Klaus to see your first steering video`s of Radar Master soon.

Here are some pics of the color variation I made.

CHeers
Marco

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0386.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

DSC_0389.JPG

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0391.JPG

Nice colour scheme! Specially the wheels look great once more.

This morning was fun playing and steering Radar Master using the app!

Instead of reading the app's help section and manual, I let him go right away. Shot across the room, then started whirling like a twister until I slowly understood the difference of using one or two fingers and got a better feeling for gently guiding the Master into bends around the furniture. "What a cute little guy!" was the family's comment.

No video, Marco. I suppose, a google account is required for posting in Youtube? I don't expect I want to have a google account very soon.

Enjoy Christmas Sunday 😊 - Sunday??? Monday!

Hey Klaus,

hahah yes, you have to use both your fingers to get him go forward and steer him.  once you are familiar with the app, its a piece of cake to steer the robot

around the house.

I still have to make some videos as well, will do that next week or so, have to find the time.

I remember i had the same experience when i "launched " the first prototype. It ran off as well hahahahaha

Very cool, would have loved to see a vid still.

Marco

Archived