3D Printed Radar Master Robot.. Self Balancing ! :-)

marco

Hey Oz... Jeezzz.. this was really what i needed overhere..  Now your Mrs.. is starting getting involved in my projects :)
Why did you not teach here some manners... 2 women in tha house that tell me what to do is MORE than enough ! hahahahahah

Ow well.. she is just doing here very best to help me out... what a dish...

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0733.JPG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bringing 3D printed Robots to life is quite a delicate Job and when you choose the road of programmable robots, that can see, think and do things of their own, things really get complicated.
Its really fun to do and to give you some insight in the process of Radar Master Robot i will try to make some pictures of the process. There will be not a real structure in the building process
I will just make some pics when I think about it, not only for my own reference but also to show the work that goes in these robots...

Here is the partly build up head of the Radar Master Robot.
The head houses 3 sensors , 2 IR transmittors and 1 IR receiver. Further there are 4 smd leds to light up the eyes through transperant filament.
OF COURSE, the wire is to short to reach the mainboard so only for the head that means i have to do some serious and precise soldering to make the cable just 10 cm longer.
The head is build up out of 12 individual printed cubes in 2 colors, white and orange. The room to house the electronics is cut out later along with the holes for the eyes.

when you take a close look you will see that the eyes are actually made of 4 parts, the innnerpart is the IR transmittor, than a black ring. around that ring is a transperant ring that transmits the light from the smd leds in the center of the head
and the final ring is the grey one.

Here are some pics, more later..
Marco

DSC_0758.JPG

DSC_0759.JPG

DSC_0760.JPG

DSC_0761.JPG

DSC_0762.JPG

Part 2:

The wheels were drawn some years ago already when i made the first tinmade full size Radar Master Robot. For that robot the wheels were cut out of aluminium.
I still had the digital files of the wheels and used the data again to convert it into .STL to use in on the 3D printer.
To give the relative wobbly wheels some extra strenght and extra looks, I added a thin base at the back. it gives a nice extra color effect and makes the wheel strong enough for the weight of the total robot.
The rubber grip is glued on afterwards and needed for the balancing action of the robot.

On the wheels you see an extra hole. that will be used later to drive the legs of the robot. A small metal pin goes in there.

Marco

DSC_0765.JPG

DSC_0766.JPG

DSC_0767.JPG

The building of 3D Radar Master Robot ... Part 3:

After the parts for the wheels are finished, a pin is glued in the wheel to drive the leg.
The completed wheels are now mounted to the mainboard of the robots computer unit.
This Mainboard is the central computer for the Radar Master Robot and all the modules will be attached to this mainboard: the 3 sensors in the head, the battery, microphone, leds in the head, led unit in the body, speaker and
bluetooth module.

The mainboard only need minor other adjustments to make it fit in the body of the robot.
All the adjustments are made in the 3D file for the backpart of the body in which the mainboard with the wheels will be fitted.

Here are some pics of the mainboard for Radar Master Robot with the wheels attached.

Marco

DSC_0783.JPG

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0785.JPG

DSC_0786.JPG

Hey Klaus

That would have made things a bit easier for sure :)
when i build up the first prototype i did never test this mainboard with all the functions attached.
I think it will work this way though..The balancing system is quite strong and it allows with the original robot to add weight and stuff like that so

it will find its balance again every time so yes, I think when you attach all the components and put power in the system, it will keep balance already in this stadium :)

Well, in the next pictures you see the base of the body in which all the holes, support etc has been made digitally already so it "rolls" of the printer like this.
The 2 battery boxed are glued in along with the speaker and the complete head is also mounted to the back of the robots body.

Next step will be to attach all the cables to bottom of the mainboard and than screw it all in place for a first test  to check if all the modules are working properly.

Also you see the front part of the body with the 3D printed Led Bulb, this is really to see in real as it changes colors along with the function of the robot and gives exactly the correct amount of light through the 3D printed "bulb" printed in transperant filament :)

Have a great weekend, more next week !

Marco

DSC_0772.JPG

DSC_0773.JPG

DSC_0774.JPG

DSC_0775.JPG

DSC_0776.JPG

DSC_0777.JPG

DSC_0779.JPG

DSC_0780.JPG

DSC_0781.JPG

DSC_0782.JPG

On 10/31/2016 at 0:30 PM, marco said:

Hey Oz... Jeezzz.. this was really what i needed overhere..  Now your Mrs.. is starting getting involved in my projects :)
Why did you not teach here some manners... 2 women in tha house that tell me what to do is MORE than enough ! hahahahahah

Ow well.. she is just doing here very best to help me out... what a dish...

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0733.JPG

Wow they look great together !  Fantastic Job !!

Love those colors on the radar master Jr

Just curious could it's functions operated via a standard wireless remote ?
or lets say someone had an old iPod , can a remote be built around the iPod 

if the robot is strictly AP controlled ? 

Just curious , seems like it would be cool 

Hey Oz..

Radar Master can be controlled in roughly 2 basic ways:

The first one is without the use of an app and smart device.
In this mode the robot can be put into several functions by just turning the wheel. There are 6 different functions that correspond with the color of the light
Blue is default, White is cage, red is tricks, orange is tracking and so on.
In this mode the robot can be controlled by handmoves and sound. This way the robot can be used without the use of the app and the smart device

however, if you want to control the robot yourself with a remote control than you can download an app and take control of the robot using a smart device.
this app also allows you to program the robot and let him do many other things like self exploration, dance and things like that.

I realize I still have put one prototype together and took some serious time to test it.
Now I will start to build the first 5 ones up and also work on the users manual and things like that.

The robot can NOT be controlled by a standard wireless remote control, you really need a smart device like iphone or things like that to take control

Cheers !

Marco

The building of Radar Master Robot part 4:

when all the components are installed, tested and connected its time to place the mainboard in the body part back of the robot where the microphone, on / off switch and batteries can be connected at the bottom of the mainboard.
Than the mainboard can be secured and the rest of the cables can be attached, the head, the led light and the microphone.

before closing the robot it looks like this...it all fits on the mm and not much room left inside the body.

Tomorrow it will be time to test this first production robot after attaching the arms and legs to the body.
It will be exciting again just like the first prototype to see if everything works fine. There are so many cables and connections .... 

Marco

DSC_0839.JPG

DSC_0840.JPG

DSC_0841.JPG

DSC_0842.JPG

DSC_0843.JPG

DSC_0844.JPG

The building of Radar Master Robot part 5:

The next step in the building process is adding and adjusting the arms and legs to the robot.

To assure that the robot finds its correct balance its important that the wheels, arms and legs all move smooth without any friction.

The mechanism from the mip robot does only balance on its wheels, the radar master however also drives the arms and legs by the wheels

so to keep the friction as low as possible, the arms and legs must be placed precise up the the mm... its the final step before bringing the robot to life for the first time and to test it.

Working on the arms and legs while at this very moment. i will make some pictures of the process and add them later...
When both the legs and arms are placed, I have to adjust the axels and secure the ends of the with special 3D printed little stops ( dont know the exact english name for them )
They must be glued but the glue mostly goes on places where its not needed so its tricky to do... heheheheh

almost there when all is attached and ready for a first firmware update and testrun ;)  

( just realized how cool it is to write THAT down LOL...... " to give your own designed, 3-D printed robot a firmware update   whoaaaaaa " 

More to come..

Marco

Cheers

Marco

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

DSC_0915.JPG

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0917.JPG

Hello Robert,

Nopes, you dont have to remove anything to replace the batteries. There are 4 AAA batteries installed which can be all removed with the circuitboard in place :)
only thing you need is a screwdriver to whip them out of their sockets and guide the new ones back in.

And YES, the circuitboard is held in place with only 4 screws :)

Marco

Well and than suddenly the robot is ready after some serious hours of buildingtime :)

Yesterday I took the time to make the box, inserts and bottom for the robot.
The robot is complete now with the original box, only thing I have to finish now is the user manual which... will take me another days of work I guess to complete :)

Here are some pictures of the finished robot, this is how you will receive your Radar Master Robot :)

Have all a great weekend and dont forget to Join D.R.A.C.U.L.A    :-)

CHeers

Marco

DSC_0919.JPG

DSC_0920.JPG

DSC_0921.JPG

DSC_0922.JPG

DSC_0923.JPG

DSC_0924.JPG

DSC_0931.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0934.JPG